Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 03-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
hmmm, I'd be interested to know how to force UR to use the new rules for item title.
Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
From the Help file - Custom Item Titles:

If items already exist for the template when you change the Title Expression value, the titles are not automatically refreshed for the existing items until you change an attribute value that is part of the Title Expression.
Wondering...

What if you created a logical attribute named (Update), and assigned it to an existing template, give this template a Title Expression and include [Update] in the expression, then search on this template and change the value in [Update] enmasse...

But then the value from (Update) becomes part of the Item Title.

Is there some way to structure the Title Expression to see a logical False from (Update) as a NULL value?

EDIT: Or, would it require first giving a value to (Update), then remove the value - in which case (Update) could just be a text field.

Last edited by ashwken; 03-06-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
hmmm, I'd be interested to know how to force UR to use the new rules for item title. I tried to change the template, but new rules are not applied, and the old title based on "Item title" remains.
ok, I reply to myself. The only reasonable work-around I could find is to add dummy attribute to the template with whatever default value, and add it as a first option to the name. Then just set it to empty for the items you want update your item title, and finally remove this dummy from the template completely ... works nicely, changed names for my whole library
Old 03-07-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
[B][snip] It may help if you break an expression down into it's parts, [/snip]
Whew. I think I understood that. In any case, I truly appreciate your taking the time to explain it to me. And your point about playing around in a new DB is well taken.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
ok, I reply to myself. The only reasonable work-around I could find is to add dummy attribute to the template with whatever default value, and add it as a first option to the name. Then just set it to empty for the items you want update your item title, and finally remove this dummy from the template completely ... works nicely, changed names for my whole library
Maybe something like this:

Create an Atrribute (Update_Title, Category = Update), then Insert it in the IA Pane for the Template of the Items you wish to re-Title. Leave the value for (Update_Title) blank.

Create the desired Title Expression for the Template and add this statement to the end:

|| trim(coalesce([Update_Title], ''))

Search on the Template and select records, goto the (Update_Title) attribute and add the space character, the selected Items will be re-Titled.

If at some point you want to re-Title again, repeat the above but remove the space character (or add another, they'll be "trimmed" out).

EDIT: I wonder if it would be worthwhile to include this when creating new Templates, or should re-Title come from within UR, or is this need just for the intial transition to the new capabilties?

Last edited by ashwken; 03-07-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Whew. I think I understood that. In any case, I truly appreciate your taking the time to explain it to me. And your point about playing around in a new DB is well taken.
I've done some editing of that earlier post, maybe makes things more clear - or not.

I'm kinda flying-blind on this myself, having to translate what I know from dbase. Maybe someone else can add some insights.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: