Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 09-09-2006, 04:04 PM

Publishing an OML Export

I'm a teacher and want to publish my UR content for my students to use in a simple browseable form both on CD and on my web site. I've been trying to find a way to publish a UR OML export to HTML but am having no luck. I am not experienced with XML, OPML and OML so am not sure what I can do with the UR output as is. I'm looking for recommendations based on the following (I don't mind doing some HTML level scripting to make this work).

At a minimum, I'd like to generate a single top level HTML file as an indenjted list that corresponds to the UR item hierarchy. I'd like the HTML formated such that each UR item is listed by title and linked relative to the items in the _StoredContent folder. I would also like to follow each linked item with a text listing of the attributes exported in the OML file. Any recomendations on XML (OML) to HTML conversion tools?

Optimally, I'd like to embed a collapsible tree view of the OML data with browseable links to each data item in _StoredContent at each tree node and the item attributes collabsible at each item node. I've looked for some kind of client and/or server side plugin etc to do this and found something called Grazr that uses JavaScript to display an OPML hierarchy, but I can't get it to work with a UR OML output file. Any recomendations on other plugins (JScript, PHP, Java, ActiveX, whatever)?

The best solution would be for UR to output a publishable format directly.... something that does not require UR or UR viewer installed on the client side (my students would choke on this). Obviously this is already on the wish list and has been covered in other forum threads.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:57 PM

Unfortunately don't have the solution. In fact am just now trying out UR.

Though am actually looking at switching from myBase to UR, since I recently read some glowing reviews from someone else who himself switched from myBase to UR because of the great features of UR.

One thing I was hoping to find is a good way to export to the web. myBase gives a couple ways to do that, but both are more clunky and inflexible than I like.

If I could get UR to work to my liking for creating pages (and retaining navigation within hierarchy) then it would make for an amazing way to create websites.

I can't believe more people aren't clamoring for this capability.

If nothing else, there are a number of cases where you have info locally and you want to put it on the web so others can see it.
In fact I'm working with a client right now to do that, so her customers can browse detailed product information, rather than having to call her everytime they have a question.
Doesn't have to be pretty - just needs to present the info in a professional and easy-to-use way.

Oh well, I'll be interested to hear if you or anyone else has "luck" with generating html.
I'll post if I find a good way to do it

Last edited by netrific; 09-11-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Administrator

We put together a sample for converting a UR XML export to browsable HTML. See this FAQ for details:
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2054
Old 09-14-2006, 12:11 AM

Wow! This rocks. You guys are awesome! Exactly what I was looking for....

Thanks.
Maynard
Old 09-22-2006, 02:06 PM

Hey kinook.

I can't get the xslt page to work properly on a remote web server. It works great on a local file system but when I upload and open index.html on a remote server I get the following:

1. When running on a simple web site from my ISP: Error loading stylesheet: An XSLT stylesheet does not have an XML mimetype:http://members.cox.net/markav/Portfolio/convert.xslt

and

2. When running on another web site at http://www.familyfacade.com/Portfolio/, the item text for the top level nodes are displayed but the folder icons are not being created by the xslt script. There is no way to select and expand the nodes. This also occurs when I run from a local Apache 2.0.59 server on localhost.

Any ideas?? Not sure how to debug this.

Maynard
Old 09-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Administrator

1. You probably will want to convert the XML export to HTML when deploying on a web server. I updated the FAQ to describe how to do that.

2. For web server deployment, URL references need to use slash (/) instead of backslash (\). I updated convert.xslt in the ZIP of the 2nd post of the FAQ thread to do this as well.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:41 PM

This works great... thanks for the fast response kinook.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: