Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 05-24-2007, 12:52 PM

System Macros - where do they populate from?

Hi,

I have a build file which is used for some of our automation testing. During our testing, (specifically during our install phase), we end up modifying the PATH environment.

What I"m seeing however, is that the BLD file doesn't detect that, and it appears that it launches any subsequent commands (chained BLDs, Batch files, etc) with the original PATH information.

I even shut down VBP, checked the PATH via the Properties of My Computer, and by typing PATH in a command prompt to verify that indeed, it does have the new path information (and matched between the two), and when I launch the BLD file again, it still contains the previous, unmodified Path information.

I hope the above makes sense

My question is, where does VBP obtain the System Macro's information/initial values, and is there a way to force the BLD file to update it's system macros?

Thank in advance!

Eric
Old 05-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

VBP inherits its environment from the process that started it (unless the starting app explicitly passes a different environment [1], which is rare), and any processes started by VBP will inherit its environment (which could be modified within VBP via the Set Macro action configured to add to environment variables [2]).

Like most apps (for instance, cmd.exe, Visual Studio, etc., Explorer.exe is one of the few exceptions that does), it does not reload its environment from external changes after startup.

[1] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682425.aspx
[2] http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=52

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: