Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bookman
But the point I'm trying to make is that the other two programs do it much faster and in fact one of them which also uses a Button on the Explorer bar is the quickest of the lot - almost instantaneous whether from IE or Firefox itself.

Exactly… I’m flip-flopping between UR and Web Research for capturing web pages. UR is without question the more powerful product, but UR falls down on capturing web pages. UR took a big step forward with the addition of adding a window for selecting the location of the capture.

However, there are 2 other areas that need attention:

#1. Properly saving the web page…

Too often UR will not save all the content. WR on the other hand captures the page correctly 99% of the time. So it can be done.

#2. Speed of capture…

I have personally timed both UR and WR side by side. WR is considerably quicker than UR. (up to 5 times faster on some pages) So speeding up UR seems possible.

Obviously #1 is more important than #2.

In my mind UR is soooo close to the being the perfect information manager… I just wish they would address these concerns in the next release. (along with the AV issue)
Old 09-19-2007, 08:46 AM

Just to add my voice, I found Web Research much more reliable and much faster at screen capture.

Nontheless, I have abandoned Web Research because it does nothing else. UR's advantage of having everything in one place, so that I can mix screen captures with other types of information, for me far outweighs the speed of capture and occasional mis-capture.

But I echo the view that it would be great if UR could in the future match Web Research which I now see as the gold standard for web screen capture.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:07 AM

Also Stephen, Kinook made some browser adjustments that has -- at least -- sped up resolving websites on my machine. It may also affect other web clipping issues.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM

There is something in my opinion that should be made (and soon I should say) or UR will be known worldwide for what it shouldn't, slowness.

I have experimented myself this slow behavior in some of the functions: capturing web pages, storing documents, compacting. Apparently the culprit is the way UR indexes and zips. For example it took me around 3 hrs to compact my database of 400 MB absolutely containing only stored docs, no links at all, and I have a fast machine. Anyway and besides this annoying behavior, I continue to think without any doubt that UltraRecall is the best product of its kind, a grandeur, so much so that it will probably some day (and soon) will be the standard for any serious PIM. Only that this sluggish thing should be tackled with efficacy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: