Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 03-19-2019, 08:24 AM

Quick note feature: Adding notes on-the-fly

Hi ...

I run through this use-case quite often, especially during meetings. I have to jot down a quick note, capture a screenshot (during a webex), or copy text from a web page.

With other apps like Evernote, Onenote, & MyLifeOrganized, there is a feature where I can reach a quick note via a keyboard shortcut that opens up a simple note editor dialogue for me to take notes.

It saves automatically to a pre-configured location i.e. in a specific URD file under a tree item e.g. Inbox.

The import to clipboard feature does not allow me to edit my quick note on the-fly and it forces me to pick the correct database & navigate the tree to find a location for the note.

For other UR users, please vote if you think this feature adds value to your workflow.

For UR developers, please consider adding such feature.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Administrator

I don't know about using a fixed .urd file (too many complications like the file could be encrypted and would need to prompt for password, file may not exist, etc.), but the general idea is on our todo list. Also see

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=4653

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3572

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=4293

Today, the quickest way would be to first configure:

1) uncheck Tools | Options | Import | Choose location when importing or pasting from other applications
2) uncheck Tools | Options | Import | Insert imported items at bold in Explorer pane
3) create a favorite to My Data -> Imported Items.

Then, to insert a note
1) activate and type into another window (i.e., Notepad, Word, or any other editor).*
2) Ctrl+A
3) Ctrl+X
4) Press import clipboard hotkey (Tools | Options | Import)
5) Dismiss note window

This will insert a new item under My Data -> Imported Items in the current database, named with the beginning text of the note. To manage notes that have been added, go to the favorite for Imported Items and edit, organize, etc.

*To quickly open a note window, you could create a global hot key to open, say Notepad2, which has an option for Esc to minimize, so a single hotkey would activate the editor and Esc to minimize when done.

You could also use something like AutoHotkey to configure a single shortcut for steps 2 thru 5, so the sequence would be:

1) press hotkey to open note app
2) type the note
3) press hotkey to select all, cut, import into UR, and minimize note app
Old 03-19-2019, 03:21 PM

This is nice workaround. Only limitation is that it may import into any one of the open databases & I have to go hunting in each one.

Glad to hear that it is on your radar.

Thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: