Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2006, 07:37 AM

Slow on USB

Hi,

I installed UR on C:, but I put my .urd on a usb memory stick so I can take it with me and use it on my laptop or desktop at work. But it runs very slowly. For example, inserting a child data item takes 5 seconds; if I move the .urd to C: and access it from there, it takes just a fraction of a second.

Would it run faster if I installed portable UR on the usb stick? Is there some other way to speed things up?

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Administrator

That's rather slow (in my tests, it's not noticeably slower than the local drive). Do you have a USB 2.0 drive, port, and driver?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:51 AM

>>Do you have a USB 2.0 drive, port, and driver?<< Well, they claim to be.

There's something funny going on here and it isn't UR:

. If I move the .urb to an actual hard disk plugged into the same USB hub, inserting a child data item seems about as fast as on c:

. With the same .urb on the Attache 2GB memory stick (nearly new, claims to be USB 2) it takes 5 or 6 seconds.

. On an older Attache 512MB, it takes 2 or 3 seconds.

This is the first time I've tried to use a memory stick for anything more than moving a few files from here to there. Does anybody know if they are inherently much slower than actual disk drives? Should I be trying to find a faster one or are they all the same?

I'm sorry for raising the false alarm about UR. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:16 PM

Well, I got a new USB stick, and now UR is fast. In case anybody else has the same problem, Gizmo!overdrive 1GB works fine, PNY Attache 2GB is painfully slow.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:28 AM

slow if .urd on USB

I'm also finding UR is very slow if the .urd file is on a USB flash memory stick. I've tried current versions of UR Pro, both the portable version on the USB stick and the regular version installed on my hard drive. Both are fast if the .urd is on my hard drive and both are slow if the .urd is on the USB stick. This is with a fairly fast 8 Gb Corsair Data Voyager on 3 different computers (all usb 2.0). This is even with a new skeletal .urd I just created. There's a noticable (3-5 sec) lag just moving between the few items in the newly created file. Sometimes I even get a popup msg box that says please wait while it's loading the next item. That's just a bit too slow to be usable. I also tried the two registry patches, but that didn't help. Other apps (e.g. portable Evernote) seem to be just fine with both software and data on the stick. Any ideas? I know I can run it off the hard drive and copy up to the stick, but the whole point to a portable app is to have everything available just by plugging it into any machine.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:59 AM

Re: slow if .urd on USB

Quote:
Originally posted by gunars
This is with a fairly fast 8 Gb Corsair Data Voyager on 3 different computers (all usb 2.0). This is even with a new skeletal .urd I just created. There's a noticable (3-5 sec) lag just moving between the few items in the newly created file.
Hmmm, I also have Corsair, just tested. Running from the USB drive is slightly slower than running from HDD, but nowhere near 3 seconds, not even 1 I'd say. No registry tweaks, XP SP3.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the response, quant! I just tested the speed of the Corsair with HDTach and both burst and average read speeds were about 23 MB/sec which is not too bad. I have the same issues with a Sandisk Titanium USB (about 18 MB/s). Attached is a screen shot of the fairly7 empty .urd file and the "please wait" message.

I guess I will just have to run with the .urd on the hard drive and then copy it up to the USB.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 PM

Hmm, let's try that screen shot again. It didn't seem to attach to the previoius msg. BTW, I get the slow behaviour on other items also, not just the Recycle Bin.
Attached Images