Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 10-17-2009, 04:47 AM

Full-Text Search Produces Faulty Hits

When Full-Text Search is enabled, not all hits are correct. For example, when searching "Trial de Novo", it produces items which don't contain the string.
Now I simply turn it off. It's not reliable yet.
Armstrong
Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 AM

That's quite a broad statement to make without offering much evidence. It's been working well for me.

Did you search for "trial de novo" in quotes or just those three words without the quotes?

If I search without the quotes I get hits on those terms in my database because it matches trial or de or novo. Those are common terms individually.

If I search with the quotes I get no hits because I don't have any documents with exactly that phrase.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lascasas
That's quite a broad statement to make without offering much evidence. It's been working well for me.

Did you search for "trial de novo" in quotes or just those three words without the quotes?
Hi Lascasas,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, my search in question contains a pair of double quotes (""). The hits include info items which doesn't contain either of the words. I've repeated the test several times. After disabling FTS, all hits are correct.

Armstrong

Last edited by armsys; 10-18-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=3038
Old 10-19-2009, 06:09 PM

The screenshot shows the fault hit under the FTS.
Version: UR Pro 4.1.0.3
Armstrong
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Administrator

When reporting any problems encountered with UR, please ZIP and send all of the following information to support@kinook.com:

1) The info from Help | About | Install Info, the version of Internet Explorer, and if the problem involves importing from or interacting with another application (i.e., Outlook, Firefox, etc.), the version+SP of that application.

2) Run RegEdit and export the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall. Type Win+R (to show the Run dialog), type regedit and press Enter (to start RegEdit), navigate to the above location, and use File | Export on the menu to save it as a .reg file.

3) A clear description of the problem encountered and screen shots of any error messages. To create a screen shot, press Alt+PrtScn with the error window focused, then Win+R (to show the Run dialog), mspaint and Enter (to start Paint), Ctrl+V to paste the image, and then save the file (preferably in PNG format).

4) Detailed steps to reproduce the problem, from the point that UR is started.

5a) A .urd file and any other files needed for #4. To minimize the database size, make a copy of the problem .urd file in Explorer or via File | Save As, then in the copy, delete all items that aren't needed to demonstrate the issue, empty the Recycle Bin, and compact the database (Tools | Compact & Repair with Compact checked) before sending.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator

I was able to reproduce the behavior you described, but after disabling and re-enabling FTS, the problem no longer occurs. Try converting your database to FTS again and see if the problems persists. If so, please ZIP and send a copy of a problem database with FTS disabled (that still returns wrong results after enabling FTS) for our investigation. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:38 PM

Hi Kinook,
Thanks for duplicating and confirming the anomaly.
I've tried out your suggested solution but it still includes faulty hits. Thanks for your help.
Armstrong
Old 10-26-2009, 06:39 AM

Without a doubt, the FTS algorithm contains some bugs. I suspect it may search attributes as well.

The Relevance attribute is available in Search Results (Ctrl+3). The Relevance of 1 is likely faulty.

But, on the other hand, how come it isn't available in Search conditions?

Armstrong
Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator

All text and attributes are searched by default (FTS or non-FTS). To search only item/document text and no other attributes, use an advanced search of Item Text contains keywords or matches wildcard.

The Relevance attribute isn't available in the search criteria because it is a result of the search and not an actual attribute in the database.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:44 PM

Sorry, I didn't know the difference. Anyway, the relevance column is extremely helpful even though info item with Relevance 1 could not be eliminated in the Search Results.
Thanks for your help.
Armstrong

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: