Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 07-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Who do child items and search results share the same window?

This is a design aspect of Ultra Recall I've never understood and wonder if people here can explain it to me:

Why do child items and search results share the same window?

I ask because sometimes I want the search results to persist for a while so I can use of the results for assigning items, flagging, etc., but if I click on a folder, the search results are replaced by the child items for that folder.

Why? What's the logic of that? How are child items and search results related?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:01 AM

Re: Who do child items and search results share the same window?

Quote:
Originally posted by lascasas
Why do child items and search results share the same window?
The name of the pane changes, but they are still, in effect, children of the item. Think of it as a saved search. When you select a saved search, you see the children of that item. I don't know if this is clear - I hope so.

Quote:
I ask because sometimes I want the search results to persist for a while so I can use of the results for assigning items, flagging, etc., but if I click on a folder, the search results are replaced by the child items for that folder.
But not if you single click. The search results remain. Again, think of the child pane. If you select a child in that pane with children, you can view its details. However, double clicking will select that child and the view in the child pane changes to the its children.

I know the help file can be a bit difficult, but it is very informative. Once things "click" the rest will fall into place. I urge you to spend some time reading and experimenting!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Re: Re: Who do child items and search results share the same window?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Polish
The name of the pane changes, but they are still, in effect, children of the item. Think of it as a saved search. When you select a saved search, you see the children of that item. I don't know if this is clear - I hope so.
I understand your point, but I don't see a reason to have them share the same window. When I click on an item to see the children, my purpose is different than if I run a search. I don't want one action, in effect, overwriting my other action.

Quote:
But not if you single click. The search results remain.
This isn't true, at least in my setup, nor do I see a way to change it. The search results are replaced by child items even with a single click on a folder in the explorer.

Quote:
I know the help file can be a bit difficult, but it is very informative. Once things "click" the rest will fall into place. I urge you to spend some time reading and experimenting!
I've been using the program for years, thank you, and have read the manual a great deal. And things don't just "click." That's why I asked.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Who do child items and search results share the same window?

this was one of my first question as well, when i joined UR.

The problem is that search items CAN themselves have children, and you might want to see them in the child pane, but you are not allowed by design.

Doesn't seem to be very consistent, I'd prefer separate search results pane (+ few other options, like show search results pane automatically when going to search item, etc ...)
Old 07-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Administrator

IIRC, the main reason was to minimize the number of separate panes. It's on the request list, but at this point, it's not so simple to separate out.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Mystery solved. Thanks for the explanation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: