Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 PM

One-Click URD Opening

It would be nice to open a urd externally with one click on the Info Item if UR detects the Info Item's URL is a urd.
Current version (3.2.6) requires one more step--Ctrl+J.

Armstrong
Old 01-10-2008, 07:25 AM

Armstrong: are you aware that you can create an item shotcut on your desktop so w a click it will open the urd to that location. There is a thread for quick access to UR in case you want to take a note. This is one way to do it. Does that satisfy your wish?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 AM

janrif,
I was aware of the UR's feature to sent any Info Item to the Windows Desktop--a scenario I wish to avoid. I want UR to be the central for all, sort of mega data, substituting the Desktop and more. The advantages is the organziation--the item, may it be an application or documents, can be explained (in Item Notes) and related and searched.

Therefore, it would be nice if UR can support one mouse click to open another urd.

Armtrong
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM

Clearly I didn't understand what you were after &, frankly, it's probably over my head.

I also know user can create a link in one urd to open another urd but I guess that wouldn't do it either so I will now shut up, sit back & wait for another senior member like yourself (or kinook) to suggest a solution which I will then learn about too.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 AM

If I understand your request correctly, this will work.

1. Right click on an item in the tree of one of your databases.
2. Copy with URL
3. Paste what you copied into the item details of another database. Clicking once will invoke the first database and take you to the location specified in the URL.

Jon
Old 01-10-2008, 11:47 AM

Jon, That's what I was thinking too (mentioned in my 2nd post), but I'm not sure that's what Armstrong is after either. He seems to want UR to replace explorer. I'll be interested in his reply to your post.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 AM

Hi janrif & Jon Polish,
1. Thanks for your heroic rescue effort.
2. Thanks for janrif's mention, now I notice that I'm promoted as Senior Member by accident, which is nearly impossible inasmuch I was born as a UR user on December 20, 2007.
3. Yes, the hyperlink (aka, external link) of another URD is only implemented in the Item Details pane (mostly text). No, it can't be done on an Info Item in the Data Explorer pane. I've already experimented it innumerously. Referring to the screen shot, my dream is to jump to, say, WSJ.urd, by clicking the Info Item once.
With the current version, we've to select wsj first. Then, press Ctrl+J.
Armstrong
Attached Images

Last edited by armsys; 01-11-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 AM

Ah.... now I see what u want to do, Armstrong.

As that's not possible AFAIK, a workaround that might work for you is based on the idea that if you want to work w multiple URDs, you can set UR to only open a single instance in options. However, as you open multiple DBs they will / can appear as tabs so w one click you can jump from DB to DB.

When you end your UR session with 3 DBs open (for example) the next time you start UR it will open those same DBs, focusing on the last one u used, creating tabs for the other 2.

Does that help get you what you want?
Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 PM

janrif,
Again thanks for your effort. All your proposed solutions are helpful in one way or another. Whether it solves a problem at hand won't matter. The essence here is the ideas and the spirit.
Yes, all your solutions are doable.
Yes, it's exactly why I propose it as a nice-to-have someday/maybe feature. That isn't one of those make-or-break features in the next "significant" release for sure.
Thanks. Have a nice weekend.
Armstrong
Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 PM

Now I just discover a workaround solution inspired by ashwken's *folder idea (see http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=3405).

In UR, creat a Folder Info Item with a URL pointing to the Windows folder containing the interested urds.

When the said folder is selected, all urds are shown and a urd can be opend by double-click.

This isn't an eloquent solution. To say the least, I can't add verbose remarks to each urd.

The pros of this solution:
1. effortless (ctrl+Shift+C, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+Shift+K,....etc. are not needed) ;
2. quick to set up;
3. Automatically updated;
4. see all urds in one place;
5. Double-click to open an interested urd.

Armstrong

Last edited by armsys; 01-11-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: