Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 05-04-2005, 11:50 PM

under Linux?

Has anyone had any luck getting Ultra Recall to run in emulation under Linux? I have tried Win4Lin Pro, Wine, and CrossOverOffice. I have not had any success.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:16 AM

on the more general note, with the new Vista (which I'm not going to comment on) and probably the end of XP support in the near future, I fear that I will have to move to Linux soon.

Is there a plan to port UR to linux?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Not at this time. According to http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223, support of Windows XP continues for quite a while. And even when support ends, XP will still run. I've never had a need (or desire to wait) to contact MS support regarding Windows, and by the time they stop shipping security patches for it, all the hackers will have moved on to fresher targets anyway. And by then, perhaps CrossOver or something like it will support UR running on Linux.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:57 PM

I'd just like to put in my two cents for a linux version.

I use UR at work, but would love to have it for personal use. Unfortunately, because I build my own computers at home, I only run Linux for personal use. It's just not practical to fork over the 1500 dollars required to buy pro versions of windows for 3 computers, just so we can use UR.

I am part of a large writer's community and I would love to create a template set for writers that would allow them to take advantage of this great tool for snowflaking (a writing methodology) and other popular creative processes.

I'm not sure what is required to get UR working with a tool like Win4Lin or Wine, but these would make a great compromise to a full-out Linux compatible version.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kato
I'm not sure what is required to get UR working with a tool like Win4Lin or Wine, but these would make a great compromise to a full-out Linux compatible version.
please, pretty please, let me know if you get some progress with running UR under Linux
Old 05-24-2007, 01:35 PM

I have just tried to install under Ubuntu Linux using Crossweaver, no luck, right on the installation attempt UR displayed a message that Win XP/2000 is necessary to continue the installation.

Which got me thinking...what if UR didn't force this error message, and instead let the installation continue despite it didn't find the OS it supports. Maybe it would install fine?

(Just a dreaming maybe, but it stems from real world, eg. Firefox add-ons work same way, some only support FF1, but if you switch off the compatibility monitoring in FF, one can run them even on FF2).
Old 05-24-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TMF
I have just tried to install under Ubuntu Linux using Crossweaver, no luck, right on the installation attempt UR displayed a message that Win XP/2000 is necessary to continue the installation.

Which got me thinking...what if UR didn't force this error message, and instead let the installation continue despite it didn't find the OS it supports. Maybe it would install fine?
TMF, thanks for info!
Maybe UR tries to look for some MS libraries and if not found, the error message appears. Let's see what Kinook can say about this ;-)
Old 05-24-2007, 02:16 PM

update: just back from Ubuntu, it was caused by Codeweavers being set to Win98 defaultly. After changing it to WinXP, UR installed fine, but couldn't be run. There were three error messages, only one of them meant something and it was about impossbility to set views (something like that, didn't write it down).

Maybe if we installed the libraries that UR is dependant upon, it could run? For one thing, installation of IE6 came to mind.

I'll keep trying in spare time.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 PM

Thanks for an update. Kinook, please, could you let us know what shared libraries UR uses? Thank you in advance
Old 05-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Any DLLs that UR uses (beyond what is included with Windows itself) are installed by UR to its installation folder. To get an idea of the DLLs that are used, monitor UltraRecall.exe with something like Process Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: