Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 10:42 AM

linking, custom templates and export

I have started evaluating Ultra Recall and I am very impressed! Just recently made the decision and started to switch from askSam to treepad, but now Ultra Recall looks so tempting that I may go for it even if two features essential to me are not implemeted yet:

1. My databases are heavily linked for fast navigation between items, so my most used db's will have to wait for the linking to come.
2. Will it be possible to have some of the attributes of a rich text item (like title, date, category..) displayed at the top of the document (in boxes, like in the contact template)?

Some more suggestions / questions:
I have been looking for a way to bring content stored in Ultra Recall to my pocket pc. Have been trying to find out if content (rich text items) can be exported to oml and then somehow be displayed in one of the available pocket pc viewers.
With html export (recursive) one could create a chm file that can be read and searched on a pocket pc.

Tables in the richt text editor would be great.

Just because I am used to this, I would suggest a keyboard shortcut to toggle open databases (in most programs this is ctr+tab)
I can do that with alt+tab but then other open programs are included in the toggle.

Regards
Clemens
Old 06-22-2005, 11:22 AM

1) We have referred to this as "wiki-style" linking, which is on our todo list for a future version of Ultra Recall.

2) The ability to create custom entry forms for different templates (like the Contact template) is also on our todo list for a future version of Ultra Recall.

- This FAQ entry lists some ideas for getting Ultra Recall data onto a Pocket PC device.

- More extensive rich text editing capability is also on the todo list (table support included).

- Ultra Recall is a multi-SDI application (like the current versions of Microsoft Word and Excel) not the older MDI model (where the applicatio managed multiple instances of their related "documents"). The Ctrl+Tab keyboard shortcut is related to MDI, implementing something like that with a multi-SDI application would be very non-standard (and difficult as well!).
Old 06-25-2005, 03:39 AM

Thank's for the reply!
I have read your roadmap and I práy that you will have a good workflow to accomplish it.

Is there a chance you can foretell when linking will be implemented?

Since linking a database is a work that cannot be transferred from one program to another and it is an ongoing process, if I switch to Ultra Recall now, I will have to wait for ?a year? to start linking all over again.

Secondly I need to know more precisely about the custom template feature before I switch:

1. Will it be possible to mix temlate (attribute) fields with rtf content in one item? I would need to put fields on top of each rtf document, either just in the first lines of the document or in a header, with information fields like title, date, meeting participants .... For some people that will be accessing the db's it will be too complicated to look into the attrbute pane for that information.

2. If I start putting fielded information into the attributes pane of rtf items that I start creating now before the costom temlate feature is implemented, will the information in the attributes pane be automatically inserted in my future custom templates?

Thanks for the suggestions to bring content to the pocket pc. I hadn't considered the export as files option yet. That together with a file search utility for the pocket pc makes quite a good solution, although pictures dont work.
Even better would be a export to chm feature in UR. That could bring treeview, indexed search, pictures and possibly also links preserved to the pocket pc. Is chm export in the scope of doable improvements?
(For the time being I will try to export to rtf - import in treepad - export to html from treepad - create chm in visual chm)

Regards
Clemens
Old 06-25-2005, 06:14 PM

Re: linking, custom templates and export

Re custom templates: When implemented, will it be possible to use them as the basis for generating reports, ie, will they have actual data base fields as well as looking like a data base record?

If that functionality could be provided, it would allow UR to compete more effectively with programs such as AskSam.

Daly
Old 06-27-2005, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Is there a chance you can foretell when linking will be implemented?
We don't have a target date for it yet.

Quote:
1. Will it be possible to mix temlate (attribute) fields with rtf content in one item?
We hadn't planned on it, but that's a good suggestion.

Quote:
2. If I start putting fielded information into the attributes pane of rtf items that I start creating now before the costom temlate feature is implemented, will the information in the attributes pane be automatically inserted in my future custom templates?
If you map those attributes to form fields, the existing data would be displayed in the form.

Quote:
Is chm export in the scope of doable improvements?
I believe this is the first such request (although it would be similar to HTML export). We'll add it to the list.

Quote:
Re custom templates: When implemented, will it be possible to use them as the basis for generating reports, ie, will they have actual data base fields as well as looking like a data base record?
Form fields would map to UR attributes, which are database fields, so I believe the answer is yes.