Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] User Tips, Tricks and Samples

Old 07-06-2006, 06:34 PM

Question BIG QUESTION! How are you all dealing with 'Tagging' Information Rich Items?

This summary question of this post is:
For a complex Information Base, what are some of the best ways to design its 'system' of Attributes, Attribute Categories, and Attribute Values - in order to most effectively describe (Tag) what each Item is about - and ultimately to be able to Search across the Info Base to find Items logically related by an arbitrarily complex intersection of their assigned Attributes and Values.

so, I wanted to start a discussion around how UR users are dealing with the 'Tagging/Key Wording' of complex Items - Information Rich Items that need to be Tagged with many Key Words (that in fact would likely need to be logically organized into Key-Word-Groups which in UR terminology that would probably mean multiple Attributes/ Attribute Categories - with multiple Values/Key Words) to effectively and fully answer the question; "what is this Item about altogether?....

And specifically, trying to find the most efficient/effective way of defining/designing a system of Attributes/Categories and their Values to achieve this.
(And not only that - as the Information base grows, this would provide the ability to perform a 'Tag/Key Word' Intersection Search across a URD file to find Items that are logically related to each other by a complex intersection of multiple Attributes and their Values.)

Starting with a simple hypothetical 'problem' of how best to design and assign multiple Attributes and their Values to an individual Item:

Suppose I have an information rich 50 page pdf document, and let's say it has ten 'dimensions' of what it is about (in UR speak; this may be ten Attributes in one or more Attribute Categories)...

The key thing I can't get my head around at the moment is:

How to design and assign an effective combination of Attributes/Attribute Categories and their Values. Here's an example:

In Life Sciences, Drug Discovery Research & Development, their are many, many scientific disciplines:
Discipline 1, Discipline 2 etc...

This would suggest creating an Attribute called "Scientific Discipline" - which would contain multiple Values...

and suppose my 50 page pdf contains references to seven different scientific disciplines.....?

And, what if this pdf contained nine other information dimensions (Attributes/Categories) where each of the nine Attributes would logically need to have multiple Values assigned....

Without getting even more verbose, I'll conclude for now by saying that I am having difficulty getting my head around how to design a system of Attributes, Attribute Categories, and working with such where it appears that needing to assign (to the info Item) multiple Values for any Attribute would be necessary rather than logically incorrect.

So Is there a way of designing a system of Attributes and Attribute Categories such that assigning only one Value from any Attribute (to an Item) is logically correct, or is assigning (to the Item), multiple Values for some Attributes typical, normal and effective?

This would no doubt be a trivial problem to a Professional Database designer, but I am not one....

So,in essence, I need a much better understanding of the meaning and practical use of the Tagging system of Attribute Categories, Attributes, and Attribute Values....

Isn't it amazing how the use of the apparently simple concept of Attributes can have such far reaching consequences!?

If you've got to here, thank you for your patience! - and I am sincerely looking forward to your discussion points...

Last edited by igoldsmid; 07-06-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:15 PM

Logical linkage can be used to do what you are trying to achieve. You can create a hierarchy for the various "categories" you desire to track, something like:

Scientific Disciplines
+-Life sciences
+-Drug Discovery Research & Development
+-Discipline 3
+-Last discipline

You can then add your documents anywhere in the Ultra Recall database, then link this same document to any number of these "discipline" items to link them appropriately. You can then use the virtual "Lineage" attribute in an Advanced search to locate all items that belong to the desired discipline (or the entire Scientific Discipline root item).

You can continue to use custom attributes for other metadata for your various documents and items in Ultra Recall and could use the same method above to describe another completely different set of criteria for your documents...

Hopefully this yields some ideas to better organize your information with Ultra Recall.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:14 PM

Thanks Kevin... This looks good, although,

I've looked at Virtual Lineage in the help file - and experimented a bit. I can't figure out how it works - and its not totally clear what it is for... I am gussing that what is does is:

enables you to find, via the advanced search, all the parents of any specific info Item? Correct or no?

But couldn't figure out the form of an advanced search that produced anything other than zero results, or a listing of the entire database.

Would you be kind enough to provide a literal worked example?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2006, 08:14 AM

Sure, sorry for the delay.

Attached is a zipped, sample urd file that demonstrates the "logical linking" that I mentioned as well as a couple saved searches that demonstrate using the Lineage virtual attribute to recall these articles based on where they are linked.
Attached Files
File Type: zip logical linking + lineage search.zip (89.3 KB, 2475 views)
Old 07-13-2006, 02:37 PM

right - got it! Thank you very much...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: