Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 08-07-2007, 02:31 PM

Can someone explain what is the significance of the 'Update the output directory'?

I read the manual concerning the solution/Project tab, but I am not understanding what is the significance of this option. I can build a project successfully, and the created files are placed on the output directory, but when should I care what path I write in that field? I noticed that the GUIDs are pointing to the output directory I specified for .Net objects; does this option affect that? Because my .exe file which I created on my machine, runs fine on my machine, but it doesn't work fine on another. The GUIDs are not being regenerated (changed), but the output directory path doesn't exist on the other machine. Could that be why? They are looking for a file on a specified path, in this case the output directory path, which does not exist so it fails to locate the objects which are installed on the machine? The error is "ActiveX component can't create object." I'm thinking it's the output directory path I created. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

If you're referring to the option on the Project/Solution tab of the Make VS.NET action, it determines what folder the projects' compiled executables will be generated in.
http://www.visualbuild.com/Manual/vs...olutiontab.htm

Use this option only if you want to change the output path for the executables. It will not have any affect on the compilation process itself (what GUIDs are generated, etc.) other than the location of the executables.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:28 PM

Well, you are correct about the GUIDs not being regenerated or changed. But I notice that whatever path I place in the 'Update Output' field, that changes the path stored in the GUID registry key. Also, the generated executables being placed in the output directory, is also where the build MSI file places its files when installed, so is there anything wrong with that? Should I just build but not install the MSI file? These files are being referenced by a VB6 project file, and they seem to be missing until I install the newly build MSI, would you know why? This was a recent change I did on my build. Before, the output directory was not where the MSI would install its files, now it does. This is my main concern. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we solved the "ActiveX component can't create object" error; apparently, the executables were not being compiled correctly. Fixed that by changing the settings in Visual Studio. Thanks again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: