Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Suggestions

Old 06-23-2004, 02:49 PM

Project Level Events

It would be nice to have global/project level events (vbld_StepStarting, vbld_StepStarted, and vbld_StepDone). For instance, I want the entire build to run (ignore failures on many steps), but want failures of all steps logged a certain way. The only way to accomplish this now (that I've come across) is to put the same script in all steps. If implemented, it could also be used for timing all the steps to find bottlenecks in the build process. ie. Set a macro in vbld_StepStarting to record the time, and diff it with the time at vbld_StepDone, and log that somewhere other than the standard log file.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Call a common (project, global, etc.) script function from each step's build events; multi-select the steps to update their script code at once.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:45 PM

I understand that it's possible to do it that way (that's what I'm doing now), however, not as convenient. Especially when you're dealing with many build scripts, on numerous machines. Everytime a new step is added, I have to add the function call.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Administrator

One thing you could do is add a step at the start of the project to update all other steps in the project to have the same script code as that step (see attached).

Also for custom logging, VBP allows you to create custom logging components and hook them into the logging process, which may be another option (see 'custom logger' in the help index for details).

Admin note: Implemented in v6
Attached Files
File Type: bld set_script.bld (1.6 KB, 1278 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: