Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Copy part of the web page (rich text + pictures)

Quote:
Originally posted by nisced
Considering that around 80% of all PCs and laptops ever sold have MS Office installed then it is very logical that Kinook decieded to provide an rtf editor.
why reach 80% if you could reach 100%? And considering today's internet age, web documents seem more obvious choice than office documents.

Quote:
Originally posted by nisced
Editing HTML is ok for geeks and power users but not for the average. Further, since UR is based on a database engine I suppose that providing an HTML editor will lead to a significant performance issue.
They had to provide rft editor, I dont think providing html editor would be 5% of that work, it's just a simple markup language. So I dont see how could html editor cause even slightest of performance issues ...

Anyway, it's fine as it is, but if they provide option to edit html inside UR, where I suppose would be easier to drag/drop directly from website (which doesnt work with rtf at the moment), then the user would be able to choose the format of items ...
Old 04-17-2007, 08:01 AM

An HTML solution is not without a lot of difficulties itself. HTML can be rendered easily enough with an embedded browser--but you probably have sometimes observed the difference in rendering between Firefox and IE...very similar to the RTF problem.
See Difficulties in achieving WYSIWYG at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_editor

Editing is a big problem...not so hard to implement if your target user population likes to input the markup tags in a text editor....but are embedded WYSIWYG HTML editors as well developed and as available as embedded RTF?
Otherwise it's the big guns...Word processors or specialized HTML editors like MS Frontpage (still installed with Office?), Nvu (nolonger developed?), Mozilla Composer, etc.

So it seems to me - User expectations are high and the technologies to met them are flawed.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by $bill
but you probably have sometimes observed the difference in rendering between Firefox and IE...
isn't this due to IE and M$oft not sticking to the standards? And only because IE is used by so many people that web developers have to write various hacks so that web pages looks nice in IE in the first place?

Quote:

Editing is a big problem...not so hard to implement if your target user population likes to input the markup tags in a text editor....but are embedded WYSIWYG HTML editors as well developed and as available as embedded RTF?
Otherwise it's the big guns...Word processors or specialized HTML editors like MS Frontpage (still installed with Office?), Nvu (nolonger developed?), Mozilla Composer, etc.

So it seems to me - User expectations are high and the technologies to met them are flawed.
I dont know, I have to admit that I'm no expert here (that's why I posed this question in the first place), but know a handful of free wysiwyg html editors ... so what is exactly the problem? :-)
Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
... so what is exactly the problem? :-)
A problem that UR can't solve--A imperfect user experience moving formated (marked up) text across software and platforms....which results from non-standard standards and/or poor implementation of them by others, and/or perhaps even the malevolent intent of others.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
A problem that UR can't solve--A imperfect user experience moving formated (marked up) text across software and platforms....which results from non-standard standards and/or poor implementation of them by others, and/or perhaps even the malevolent intent of others.
yeah, I realize that maybe I'm expecting too much, maybe not ;-)

it's just that recently I started working with google notebook when I'm off my pc, which works beautifully with web page snippets (I mark sth inside firefox, small plus sign appears and clicking on that adds to my notes, which you can then export to google doc), so I thought it shouldn't be a big problem for Kinook to make it work inside UR if the base item format was html.

I'm still missing Kinook's point of view on all this ...
Old 04-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant

it's just that recently I started working with google notebook when I'm off my pc, which works beautifully with web page snippets (I mark sth inside firefox, small plus sign appears and clicking on that adds to my notes, which you can then export to google doc), so I thought it shouldn't be a big problem for Kinook to make it work inside UR if the base item format was html.

Ah,...I understand the utility of "working with" HTML within UR and wasn't intending to argue against it. I hope I was arguing that this would introduce its own flavor of compatibility problems...I don't have a feel for the complexity or implications of implementation.

Quote:

I'm still missing Kinook's point of view on all this ...
I'm interested too....though they don't often comment on suggestions....and you may be over the limit anyway..... ;-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: