Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 03:43 PM

Requests for shortcuts/features?

Hi folks,

I've been happily using UR for a while now, but there are a few minor niggles I've been having trouble with. Does anyone know if these can be worked around, or can I submit them as feature suggestions?

- Is there any way to add a shortcut to an existing item, as a child of the current item, by typing its name rather than having to unearth it in the tree view and drag it into the child window? (This is the one feature I really miss from TheBrain)

- Is there any way to create a "template" for an item which will specify links that need to be filled in? For example, if I specify that a project must have a specification, design document and final report, can I cause markers to appear when I create a new project that indicate that these need to be filled in?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Re: Requests for shortcuts/features?

Quote:
Originally posted by hyphz
Hi folks,

I've been happily using UR for a while now, but there are a few minor niggles I've been having trouble with. Does anyone know if these can be worked around, or can I submit them as feature suggestions?

- Is there any way to add a shortcut to an existing item, as a child of the current item, by typing its name rather than having to unearth it in the tree view and drag it into the child window? (This is the one feature I really miss from TheBrain)
I don't think this is possible. If you do this frequently, make a search item in the search pane that will do advanced search on the item title (set item title attribute to auto-complete values from existing items), you will quickly see item titles and then link from the search results directly to data explorer pane

Quote:
Is there any way to create a "template" for an item which will specify links that need to be filled in? For example, if I specify that a project must have a specification, design document and final report, can I cause markers to appear when I create a new project that indicate that these need to be filled in?
sth like required attributes ... hmm not possible ;-)
Maybe a post-check, make a search that will list only required attributes and search for items from the given template that have at least on of those missing. You'd see the list of those items in the search results with blanks on where's and what's missing ... you could then quickly go through the list and correct it ...

Just work-arounds, I know ...
Old 10-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Re: Re: Requests for shortcuts/features?

Quote:
Just work-arounds, I know ... [/B]
It's ok, work-arounds are kinda what I wanted. What would be great is if I could assign names and categories to links between items in the same way they can be assigned to attributes, but thinking about it, I can't really see how it would work.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Requests for shortcuts/features?

Quote:
What would be great is if I could assign names and categories to links between items in the same way they can be assigned to attributes, but thinking about it, I can't really see how it would work.
heh, you could use a middleman ;-)
Create templates of "links" with their attributes, names ... and then if you wanted to create a link between item1 and item2, you'd create instance of certain type of link (in the LINKS directory), say "ideaLink", and link both items to it

It's not nice cause you don't see what certain item is linked to without clicking on the link ... but, who knows ;-)
Old 10-26-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
- Is there any way to create a "template" for an item which will specify links that need to be filled in? For example, if I specify that a project must have a specification, design document and final report, can I cause markers to appear when I create a new project that indicate that these need to be filled in?

Thanks!
I do something similar by having a custom template for Project that has sub-templates for:

Deadlines & Schedule
Tasks
Testing
User Requirements
Development Notes
Correspondence.

When I create a new info item based on the template, that item has all these sub-items waiting to be used.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
[snip] - Is there any way to create a "template" for an item which will specify links that need to be filled in? For example, if I specify that a project must have a specification, design document and final report, can I cause markers to appear when I create a new project that indicate that these need to be filled in?[/snip]
In your project template place file URL's (i.e. hyperlinks) to your documents inside the note) or create a child template for a variety of projs & place file URL's (i.e. hyperlinks) to your documents inside the note area). Either should both remind you & link you to your documents. To make sure you see the note create a project view that includes the note pane. Does that do it for you?