Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 06-20-2007, 12:42 PM

Error loading items: Access violation

My dear and lovely Kinook,

I got hit about 5 times today with this nasty and annoying error message. When it happens, clicking anywhere in the tree, menu, or panels comes up with same error. I just could do nothing. The problem is work I had done in the last save period (5 minutes) have not yet been committed.

So I hysterically clicked and clicked and clicked to find away not to crash UR so I do not loose my 5-min work (and it was much), I eventually switched tabs ( I had 4 open) and to my confusion, error was gone and so did my 5-minute data. I smiled for a second, cried for 5 minutes, and finally had a blank emotionless face for hours. Hope you understand why.

This is what triggered the error. I'm quite positive of the steps even though I could not reproduce it.

- Clicked on a saved search to retrieve my red-flagged tasks. I had 8 of them.
- these tasks displayed in search/child panel docked at bottom.
- I then highlighted a task, changed its flag to complete, then did an 'alt+L' and moved it to completed tasks folder.
- Now I clicked on save search to refresh it and got the error.

I noticed that this error can happen when the tab or item detail control looses track of what tree info item to display and for some (sync issue) its pointer is null or is a non-existing pointer. In my case the tab control displayed contents of an item which got moved yet the tab control did grab a new pointer for an info item to display.

This leads me to posing these inquires ...

- In my case, what element of UR actually returned the error. Was it the tab control, tree, or children/search item panel?

- Why did switching tabs resolve it?

- I think that may be most of these AV errors are related to UR controls getting out of sync where DB is not updated fast enough (or even the GUI elements) for another dependent control to grab a handle in a timely manner. Do you agree? If true, does it mean (and due to the way UR is designed) that these errors are inherent in UR's design and can not be overcome? The fact that they sitll occur may also confirm this assumption.

Can you please comment on these.
Thank you
Old 06-20-2007, 12:43 PM

sorry,
forgot to attach image
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2007, 08:50 AM

Just had a similar error as this, only with regards to Related items and in C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll at address 0x7C9106C3, offset 0x000106C3.

Not yet sure of the exact steps of reproduction. UR didn't crash (it had just started). If I find exacter steps and / or if it returns, I'll post again.

Note: If this is something completely different, feel free to split this thread .

Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 AM

cnewtonne wrote:

[snip] - I think that may be most of these AV errors are related to UR controls getting out of sync where DB is not updated fast enough (or even the GUI elements) for another dependent control to grab a handle in a timely manner. Do you agree? If true, does it mean (and due to the way UR is designed) that these errors are inherent in UR's design and can not be overcome? The fact that they sitll occur may also confirm this assumption. [/snip]

I see this (also reported) when several tabs are open simultaneously & there are automated actions in these views. Ex: automated searach. So when I close one tab w automated search, db is adjusting but focus jumps to next tab which also contains an automated search. This is one example.

HTH
Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 AM

Additional Note: This was in 3.2.3 (and I see a few stability fixes were made in 3.2.4). --> Will update.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: