Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cris Tontchev
This is bad for us end-users, but, in the other hand, it will protect somebody else rights. I am not saying that I agree with that, but this kind of issue is not causing me any problem. Neither in performance, because I usually have 6 or 7 applications open at the same time and I do not listen to music or watch video when I am working; neither in pleasure of have a nice Media Center.
Even if you dont listen to music, Vista still checks about 30 times per second all components that has sth to do with protected content. Like you said, it'd bad for end-users, ... anyway ... I hope you enjoy your Aero, have a look what you could have for free on Linux, Aero probably feels very ashamed, haha

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKFYA86LxHc&NR

Last edited by quant; 03-21-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeH
I'm not sure if this helps, but under XP, you'd have to go to file types and hit the 'Advanced' button and place a check next to 'Browse in Same Window'.

I haven't worked with Vista yet, but I run Office 2007 in UR 3 and everything displays internally from Word to Project. Is there a similar option in Vista?

If we could get DO to display internally or have UR display inside UR, we'd be pretty near perfection!

MikeH
Hi MikeH

Windows Vista do not have the option of changing the advanced file types, however, you can change the registry like I did, just follow the directions in the articles that Kevina provided when you have Vista.

By DO you mean do-Organizer? If so, you can copy the command-line from UR and add the link in any item in do-O. The drawback is that UR internal address will display the whole UR, instead of just the stored file, so it will not show in DO browser.

Now if you have WebResearch, it will display internally in DO browser, because their internal address shows just the stored file.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
Even if you dont listen to music, Vista still checks about 30 times per second all components that has sth to do with protected content. Like you said, it'd bad for end-users, ... anyway ... I hope you enjoy your Aero, have a look what you could have for free on Linux, Aero probably feels very ashamed, haha

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKFYA86LxHc&NR
WOW, impressive. Too late though! I am already converted to Vista.

Thanks for the links.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Hi MikeH

Windows Vista do not have the option of changing the advanced file types, however, you can change the registry like I did, just follow the directions in the articles that Kevina provided when you have Vista.

By DO you mean do-Organizer? If so, you can copy the command-line from UR and add the link in any item in do-O. The drawback is that UR internal address will display the whole UR, instead of just the stored file, so it will not show in DO browser.

Now if you have WebResearch, it will display internally in DO browser, because their internal address shows just the stored file.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 AM

Hi, Cris

Yes, I meant Do-Organizer. I knew I could link a UR file to a DO item. While I love the look and feel of DO, it's just too much manual work to keep everything I need in it. It's easy to set up GTD inside UR, which also lets me host Outlook - and I need Outlook to keep my pda in sync. So for now, UR is where I keep my dashboard.

Mike
Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 PM

do-Organizer (DO) is a gourgeous and powerful sofware that offers you almost everything to keep your information in one place, which I really appreciate because I as getting anoyed with the phrase: "where did I put that info?" . Of course, DO still needs improvements in all areas, but they are coming along because the developers are very responsive to users requests. If DO had a collector, which is in their plans, I could say that DO would compete with Zoot. By the way Zoot is working just fine under Vista and Outlook 2007 enviroment (I am giving it a try again).

I have been using GTD with DO without problem. I can tell you more in DO Forum, just PM me.

UR is a nice and powerful software that I am comtemplating for years. I am planning to buy it this time and I reached for my Credit Card several times, but still there are some things that I would like to see improved, like the linking system is confusing for me: I don't know visually which one is the real file and which one is the link; Why the item cannot be displayed alone when activated from another application (like WR); and other things already requested by other users after v3 was launched....

Well, let's see.... I still have few weeks to go with UR... Now, if Kevina at least tell me that I can open UR items in other applications such as Do and IdeaMason Browser than, I would buy UltraRecall right know.

Last edited by Cris Tontchev; 03-21-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:34 PM

I just bought a copy of UltrarRecall Pro

As I stated before, I have admired UltrarRecall Pro since v.1 and I have installed and unistalled it several times . My main issue is with the linking system that really lack something for me. However, today I got a great offer from http://www.bitsdujour.com/index.php that I could not refuse it.

If you still have not decided to get your copy of Ultra Recall, maybe a quick look at bitdujour will change your mind right away. The great deal end today, so hurry!

Now, I have a great software to organize the support materials for my dissertation, which I will combine with mindmanager and ideamason.

By the way, if somebody from the group have used these software for organizing research material and would like to share the estrategies used, I will be very interested in hear it!

wow... my license key just arrived in my email... let me enjoy my licensed UltraRecall. :-)
Old 05-15-2007, 05:53 PM

Re: I just bought a copy of UltrarRecall Pro

Quote:
By the way, if somebody from the group have used these software for organizing research material and would like to share the estrategies used, I will be very interested in hear it!
I use UR to organize my research. I ported my whole library of articles/books/ ... into UR, where I'm able to use citations links, extracts, links to pdfs ...
The calendar feature could be better, but hopefully kinook will work on it ;-)
Apart from that, it's excellent, ... however I won't share my strategy ... why not?
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2349

I tried to use mindmanager and thebrain, but it lacked many features which I required. I'm still looking for some kind of "ming mapping" soft, but haven't decided for any. The UR would do, if the data explorer pane could have different view, ie. not the familiar tree structure, but more like a (auto-rearranging) map, sth like www.connectedtext.com
Old 05-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Re: Re: I just bought a copy of UltrarRecall Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
I use UR to organize my research. I ported my whole library of articles/books/ ... into UR, where I'm able to use citations links, extracts, links to pdfs ...
The calendar feature could be better, but hopefully kinook will work on it ;-)
Apart from that, it's excellent, ... however I won't share my strategy ... why not?
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=2349

I tried to use mindmanager and thebrain, but it lacked many features which I required. I'm still looking for some kind of "ming mapping" soft, but haven't decided for any. The UR would do, if the data explorer pane could have different view, ie. not the familiar tree structure, but more like a (auto-rearranging) map, sth like www.connectedtext.com
hummmm
"ATTRIBUTES + LINKS + SAVED SEARCHES + TEMPLATES"
It seems soo interesting... now you made me curious.

oh, well! You know, I am almost ready to beg but I respect your desire of keep it for yourself. Maybe, one day you change your mind and post something like "UltraRecall research strategy" and give some ideas of UR usage without reveal your "little secret".

Regarding Mindmanager, I used it to brainstorm my essays, outline, summarize articles, and organize my projects in a mastermap. This works very well for me.

I bought a copy of PersonalBrain V.4 last week, but I still could not find a way to fit it in my Academic routine. PB4 requires a more structured line of thought when setting it up, which I do not have yet. My plan is to add all the "strong" Quotations that I extract from research articles and work on the relationships from there. Let's see.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:30 AM

Re: I just bought a copy of UltrarRecall Pro

Quote:
Now, I have a great software to organize the support materials for my dissertation, which I will combine with mindmanager and ideamason.

Yes, the bitsdujour offering was very impressive, hope it has worked out well for kinook.

You might want to check out some of the discussions at:

http://www.outlinersoftware.com

Later,
KenA
Old 06-15-2009, 02:28 AM

What about PDF's

I've got Vista x 64 - just implemented the registry fix to view Microsoft office Docs internally - but I still can't view PDF's within the UR Internal Browser.

Can anyone help me with a Vista Registry fix to view PDF docs in UR?

Thank you!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

No luck with Adobe Reader, but Foxit Reader worked on Vista x64 in my tests: http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2430
Old 06-20-2009, 04:53 PM

Actually found the solution:

In Adobe Reader 9 (don't know about earlier versions):

Edit\Preferences\Internet - Check Display PDF in Browser

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: