Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 09-16-2005, 10:15 AM

Unhappy Time consuming issue

UltraRecall is a great tool to organize stuffs and I'm trying to take a good handle of it and at the same time trying to adapt to this marvelous piece of software. However, there's something I just can't see a logical explanation.

Here's something I find a strange behavior:

When I link, move, copy or copy single an Info Item from the Child Items pane to anywhere else in the Data Explorer pane I see that, once you pick the item from the list, the Child Items pane gets repopulated, or, said in other words, redraws itself no matter how it is sorted and which one of the mouse button you use to accomplish the task (right or left button). It is something that can be notoriously more ostensible when your Child Items pane has many items (in the order of hundreds). I have used some PIMs besides UR. I have noticed that none of the other PIMS behaves this way. For long lists of items this can be time consuming (you have to wait for the "repopulation" to finish in order to go on) and sometimes it's not easy to locate the spot you were working on in the list in order to go back to retake your task. When you have to deal with many move, copy, link this can be an issue. I think someting should be done to change this behavior.

Is this something you have noticed and have plans to take care of? Anyway thanks for a good product.

Leoram
Old 09-16-2005, 10:57 AM

One more thing to add to the above:

When I use an action such as move, copy, etc., from the Child Items pane to the Data Explorer pane I sometimes get this "Child Items (cancelled)" on the Child Items tab without doing anything else other than a mere move or copy action. When this happens I also notice that only some few items (tens) get listed from a total of maybe hundreds.

Ultra Recall 1.3b; UltraRecall.exe version 1.3.2.6; Win2000-SP4 and WinXP.

Leoram

Last edited by Leoram; 09-16-2005 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:40 AM

When the content of the Related Items Pane is changed, Ultra Recall currently requeries the Info Database for the new content and repopulates the pane. If you have a large list and/or are using a slower PC, this can cause a perceptible delay. Reducing this delay (optimizing this pane's performance) is on the list for a future version of Ultra Recalll.

The loss of position when doing link/copy/copy single from the Related Items Pane is a separate issue and is now also on the list for future attention.

The "cancelled message" is related to the delay in repopulating the grid. If this "repopulation" is still occuring when a change is made to the Info Database, the population is cancelled and the requested data change (move, copy, insert, etc) is accomplished immediately.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:50 PM

Thank you for responding possitively to my post. This issue is quite annoying and it would be nice to have it addressed the sooner the better. In fact I felt a little dissatisfied with this setback on the part of UR. Now I appreciate you are thinking of taking care of it for next releases. Again, thanks.

Leoram

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: