Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 06-11-2007, 08:07 AM

DB Consistency (internal hyperlinks)

1. how can user search for hyperlinks to a given item? At the moment I search only for a text string matching item's title, which is not robust for several reasons (links can be renamed, strings that are not links are found, ...). Please, provide this feature

2. when deleting an item, the links that point to this item (contained in other items' body) become dead links. Could user be warned about this? Otherwise, db becomes inconsistent with various dead links pointing to nowhere.

Thank you

Last edited by quant; 06-11-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 AM

Re: DB Consistency (internal hyperlinks)

Quote:
1. how can user search for hyperlinks to a given item? At the moment I search only for a text string matching item's title, which is not robust for several reasons (links can be renamed, strings that are not links are found, ...). Please, provide this feature
What did you have in mind?
The user selects an item and wonders "what other items in this database have I internally linked this item to?". They right-click the item and select the find facility that presents all internally linked items in the "Child Items" pane.
Quote:
2. when deleting an item, the links that point to this item (contained in other items' body) become dead links. Could user be warned about this? Otherwise, db becomes inconsistent with various dead links pointing to nowhere.
I noticed this early on whilst using UR. I don't reckon it's worth worrying about too much. There's already a reasonable amount of work for UR to do when the user deletes an item. I guess we could ask for a facility that you manually run to clean-up dead links and the like?
Old 06-11-2007, 10:35 AM

Re: Re: DB Consistency (internal hyperlinks)

Quote:
Originally posted by zargron
What did you have in mind?
The user selects an item and wonders "what other items in this database have I internally linked this item to?". They right-click the item and select the find facility that presents all internally linked items in the "Child Items" pane.
Yes, simply want to see where (in what items) the current item is referenced (for example you have a library, and want to see where the article is referenced). This should preferably be dynamic pane opening if the current items is referenced somewhere and present a list of those items. The more advanced version of this would be if the pane didn't contain only list of those items but few words before and few words after the occurrence of link to current item, some kind of preview ...

Quote:
Originally posted by zargron
I don't reckon it's worth worrying about too much. There's already a reasonable amount of work for UR to do when the user deletes an item. I guess we could ask for a facility that you manually run to clean-up dead links and the like?
well, of course, this should be optional, I'd definitely turn it on. I don't create links to other items just for fun, so I want to know when I delete an item whether I'm breaking some "relationship" to other items and review those if necessary ...
Old 06-13-2007, 01:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: DB Consistency (internal hyperlinks)

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
Yes, simply want to see where (in what items) the current item is referenced (for example you have a library, and want to see where the article is referenced). This should preferably be dynamic pane opening if the current items is referenced somewhere and present a list of those items. The more advanced version of this would be if the pane didn't contain only list of those items but few words before and few words after the occurrence of link to current item, some kind of preview ...
Good suggestion - I agree.
Quote:
well, of course, this should be optional, I'd definitely turn it on. I don't create links to other items just for fun, so I want to know when I delete an item whether I'm breaking some "relationship" to other items and review those if necessary ...
True. There has obviously been a lot of effort put into UR already to check and clean up "dead" links, so your request fits with that continued effort. I was very pleased to watch a Favorite automatically disappear from the toolbar when I deleted the associated item from the Recycle Bin!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: