Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 04:32 AM

export to xml (oml)

It would be great if there would be an option to export to opml instead of oml. I haven't found any application that could open oml files created by UR, but a lot of applications seem to be able to handle opml
Old 12-20-2005, 08:12 PM

The OPML format is very flexible, so flexible that it lacks any defined standard attribute names other than text [title] and a few dates (such as created and modified) which is why we felt that OML was more appropriate for Ultra Recall.

Some advantages of OML (in our humble opinion) are that binary data such as icons and the actual documents can be exported and definitively referenced by the outputted xml, and can be fully re-consumed by Ultra Recall allowing it be used as a human readable backup format.

A few limitations of Ultra Recall version 1.3b and previous prevent valid opml from being exported by that version, but the 1.4 beta [download here] has been updated to rectify these problems and can export valid opml by unchecking all the attributes in the xml export dialog page, which will then export only text and the dates defined by the opml standard (which are always exported). This obviously does not export significant parts of the data stored by Ultra Recall but should be consumable by OPML compatible applications.

The obviously beta issues apply: ensure you backup your .urd files before converting (once converted they cannot be opened by the current version) and remember that beta applications contain bugs which may or not affect data integrity and usage (the beta is improving but not yet perfect ).
Old 02-11-2006, 02:28 AM

Is it possible for you to allow UR to export item details (RTF) into a opml file? I dont need more than item title and rtf content to be exported.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:17 PM

The OPML format can't contain rtf text, which precludes the OPML format from containing this information.

Currently the plain text of the rich text of Info Items can't be exported to XML format. If it could, where would you want it placed in an OPML output file? A new, special attribute? The OPML standard only defines body, outline, text, and type, none of which are intended to store anything other than a title value.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:40 AM

thanks, kevina, this makes it clearer to me.

I do not know much about these file formats, I am just continually trying to find a better way to bring my UR content to my pocket pc. I know I should be spending my time with more important things but this does not give me rest.

Exporting from UR by "Documents and rich item text to folder" (as described in the thread http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=1115) is quite a good way, but images in rtf files do not get displayed and large images in html files are hard to view in pocket IE. Searching of the content can be done with a tool like kilmist filequest, but this is not very comfortable.

Therefore I am searching for other ways. One would be to bring UR content into a pdf file with the outline tree transferred into pdf bookmarks and then to convert the pdf file to a repligo file. cerience repligo is an excellent viewer application for the pocket pc. it can display a tree of pdf bookmarks and the image and text viewing features are superb for a small pocket pc screen. This was the reason for my question about opml export, as I have found a opml-pdf conversion utility.

A feature in UR to export UR content to a pdf file with the tree structure transferred to pdf bookmarks would be a great thing.

One other alternative would be to bring UR content into a chm file and view it with a pocket pc chm viewer (eg microolap chm ebook reader). that way I can view the tree, search for document titles and perform a indexed full text search, but with large images I have the same problem as with pocket IE.

So as long as there is no pocket pc oml viewer application, I would prefer to be able to go the pdf-repligo way. But how do I get UR content into pdf? Maybe someone has an idea to help me regain the peace of my mind.

Thanks,
Clemens
Old 02-19-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blueshoes
But how do I get UR content into pdf? Maybe someone has an idea to help me regain the peace of my mind.
Clemens, you can convert Ultra Recall items to PDF using FinePrint pdfFactory, a virtual printer driver:

http://www.fineprint.com/
Old 04-03-2006, 02:22 AM

thank's for the suggestion, textfarm!

pdfFactory looks fine, but I would need a way to export more than one item a time to pdf, because I want to export large tree branches.

If that feature could be added to Ultra Recall, that would be great: a pdf printer that would print a whole branch of a tree into a pdf file and transfer the tree outline into pdf bookmarks.

That would certainly solve the problem. That would make for a two step conversion from UR to a repligo file that can be viewed on a pocket pc.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:13 AM

I want to refer in this matter to following thread.
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=1397

when you can print several items by marking them and a print command within UR, there would be no problem to make pdf of these items.
Hartmut

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: