Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Music attributes

Hi:

I have imported some mp3 files to a UR database. Before importing, I added some more attributes to the Music category. These include Track Number, Bit Rate, and Title. Upon importing, all display correctly except for Title. This displays as a zero. Track Number is set as a number; Bit Rate as a string; Title is also set to string.

How can I get the metadata for Title to be displayed (it is not the same as the file name)?

I am running UR Pro 3.1.1.6.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 08-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

It's a bug, which will be fixed in the next release.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:05 PM

Jon,

Ran some tests with URp v.3.04

It would appear that UR is not recognizing the Title field from the Windows Explorer File Properties (Summary - Advanced), but it will recognize Album Title field.

UR is also not recognizing the Duration field (h:mm:ss), neither as a string, number, or time (shows time of import) value.

I've often wondered if there is any user interest in UR being able to read/write internal tags in image and audio files - course there are dedicated programs for this.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
It's a bug, which will be fixed in the next release.
I really need the bug fixes and the promised performance improvements and am looking forward to the next release with eager anticipation. I know this has been asked before (and ignored ) but have you set a date yet?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 AM

Kinook, just curious...

From the Help File:

Note: Displayed is the Simple mode of this dialog which shows the summary values that are provided for all file types. An Advanced mode is typically available as well, which provides access to values specific to a specific file type (and where custom values can be defined as well).

Ultra Recall supports capturing of summary information for keywording and attribute values when importing documents.

Many documents, such as Microsoft Office documents, digital camera picture files, music files, etc., contain summary info that can be useful in better identifying or locating a file at a later time. This information is stored for a document by Windows in a manner similar to Info Item Attributes (a name, type and value).

-----------------------------------

Ultra Recall provides access to this document summary information in two ways:

· Automatically keywords valid string information contained in any document summary property.

· Adds Info Item Attributes for any document summary property that has a name which matches the name of an Attribute defined in Ultra Recall (case-insensitive match).

Note: This functionality can be disabled by unchecking the box Map Explorer summary properties to existing Ultra Recall attributes.
=====================

How "deep" does UR support Windows File Property attributes (tags)?

Is the support for just the Summary-Simple attributes, or is the intention to also support the Summary-Advanced attributes?

It would appear that some Summary-Advanced attributes are recognized during import while others are not.

Another part of this question, the Summary-Advanced attributes for a jpg created by a camera are not the same as a jpg created on the computer (jpg, bmp, png created on the computer seem to have the same set of attributes).

Just looking for some insight on how best to leverage the Windows File Properties.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Polish
I know this has been asked before (and ignored ) but have you set a date yet?
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2876
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ashwken
How "deep" does UR support Windows File Property attributes (tags)?

Is the support for just the Summary-Simple attributes, or is the intention to also support the Summary-Advanced attributes?
Handling of file summary properties is a bit of a black art, since they are mostly undocumented, but UR attempts to map about 100 properties, including most that are commonly found on image/picture and music files. In our testing, the following common document, image, and music file properties will map to the equivalent UR attributes:

Documents
Title
Subject
Keywords
Comments
Author

Picture
Camera Model
Date Picture Taken
Equipment Make
Exposure Compensation
Exposure TIme
Flash Mode
F-Number
Frame Count
Height
Horizontal Resolution
Lens Aperture
Metering Mode
Shutter Speed
Vertical Resolution
Width

Music
Album Title
Artist
Bit Rate
Duration
Genre
Lyrics
Track Number
Year
Old 08-07-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Handling of file summary properties is a bit of a black art, since they are mostly undocumented, but UR attempts to map about 100 properties...
OK, just updated to v.3.2.

First, for the properties listed should we assume that when creating corresponding UR Attrributes the Attribute Type should be String, except for Date Picture Taken (date/time).

Ran some quick tests:

Height and Width properties for Picture are not being mapped, nor is Duration for Music (assuming String, h:mm:ss).

Just some feedback, nothing critical, and I understand about the "black art" stuff.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

The best attribute type depends on the data, but it's not really important for actually importing. You can change it later if it helps for sorting or alignment purposes.

Duration is an odd duck. It is documented (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms691006.aspx, PIDASI_TIMELENGTH) as being length in milliseconds, and with our test files, it does import but seems to actually be milliseconds*10,000.

Please send some files where these properties are not getting mapped. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
The best attribute type depends on the data, but it's not really important for actually importing. You can change it later if it helps for sorting or alignment purposes.
This is interesting, I did not realize, always learning something here.

Quote:
Please send some files where these properties are not getting mapped. Thanks.
Sent to support address.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the sample database. It appears that the property-to-attribute matching is actually case-sensitive. We'll investigate, but for now, you can resolve this by renaming those attributes so their first letter is uppercased.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM

OK, that should've dawned on me, just blind sometimes.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:38 PM

Getting Audio Tags into Windows File Properties

Audio Shell v.1.3.5 (2007-02-07)

http://www.softpointer.com/AudioShell.htm

Freeware Windows Explorer shell extension plug-in, once installed automatically populates Windows File Properties - Advanced.

From Windows Explorer select audio file, right-click and select Properties, select Summary Tab. Create corresponding UR Attributes from the fields present in this Summary Tab - UR Attributes need to be case-sensitive (see above posts).

Upon Import (Copy/Store, Link, Move, drag-drop) UR Attributes will be populated from Windows File Properties.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Kinook,

it would be nice if there was an Import option
"file extentions to keyword ONLY document summary information (title/keywords/...)".

What I'm trying to achieve is to import pdf files that have keywords/title/author/... set, but I don't want to bloat the urd file with the actual content of the pdf file as that makes the searches within UR more or less useless (as there are no proximity searches, etc.).

Thanks for consideration.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

This is available in UR Pro v4. Add .pdf to Tools | Options | File extensions to keyword, create DWORD registry value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kinook Software\Ultra Recall\Options\PDFKeywordOnlySummaryInfo with a value of 1, and restart UR.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: