Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 11-23-2004, 08:41 PM

Automatically Collapse Sibling Branches

It would be highly beneficial to have an option to automatically collapse sibling branches when you expand an object. Then add a button on the toolbar that toggles this option on or off.

This would allow you to focus your thinking on that one item, rather than becoming distracted by all the other items in the tree.

Kevin's response:

"This is an idea we hadn't thought of before. We will consider it."

My response:

"If you decide to implement it, you should also have an entry in each object's context menu to exclude it from auto-collapsing. The reason is that there may be certain items that you always want to keep expanded."
Old 10-23-2005, 02:57 PM

This would function sort of like a "poor man's hoist" command--in the sense of serving some of the same functions. It would seem easier to implement than hoist but less powerful. Since it is probably unnecessary to implement both, it might be well to consider both before implementing either.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:05 AM

the option should make it work like it does in Windows Explorer:

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=1002
Old 10-24-2005, 03:29 PM

I had forgotten about how Windows Explorer works, as I use Xplorer2. But do you agree that a 'Hoist' command would make this mostly redundant and would provide greater power and convenience? The proliferation of file managers suggests that often users don't find Explorer conventions adequate to a complex file system, not to speak of a hierarchical database, which I think is apt to involve even more layers than a file system.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 PM

Hmm. I think hoist (and de-hoist) address the same issue, although I wouldn't say it is redundant or better. It has the advantage of clearing everything else out of view, but doesn't provide the flexibility I would want in that I often like to see multiple branches open at the same time (particularly when linking or multilinking items) that may have a distant common ancestor. So I don't think a hoist feature precludes the need for Windows Explorer-like ability to auto-collapse.

What I really would want is the ability to filter the Data Explorer tree (and save those filters), but that has been discussed elsewhere.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:50 AM

Please see http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=1391 for a consolidated discussion on future enhancements of UR related to this topic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: