Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 09-12-2008, 03:06 PM

Problem overriding the Config Files Path

I am trying to override the Config Files Path on a Windows Server 2003 machine by setting the Registry entry described in this thread http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...s=&threadid=36.

It works just fine on my Windows XP machine, but on our build machines, which run on Windows Server 2003, there is no SOFTWARE\Kinook Software\Visual Build Professional\ConfigFilesPath subkey under HKEY_LOCALMACHINE. And if I add the subkey it doesn't seem to work.

In the meantime I will use one of the other methods outlined in the other thread I linked, but I'm curious about what's going on there.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

It actually needs to be a REG_SZ registry value, not a subkey. And that forum thread was a bit out of date -- with VBP v6, the registry value is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Kinook Software\Visual Build Professional 6\ConfigFilesPath

(which works on Windows 2003 in our tests) rather than

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Kinook Software\Visual Build Professional\ConfigFilesPath
Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention I did put it a REG_SZ value and I did put it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Kinook Software\Visual Build Professional 6\ConfigFilesPath

In your tests does your Windows Server 2003 machine have a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Kinook Software subkey at all?

Because I don't. I only have "Kinook Software" showing up under HKEY_CURRENTUSER. I had to add it into LocalMachine manually (with no sucess).
Old 09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

You're probably running 64-bit Windows. If so, either run the 32-bit RegEdit.exe at

C:\Windows\SystemWOW64\regedit.exe

or access the 32-bit registry via 64-bit RegEdit.exe at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Kinook Software\Visual Build Professional 6
Old 09-12-2008, 03:48 PM

Hah! Indeed I am running 64 bit. Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: