Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 AM

Link an item to Word or Outlook

I am not at all getting the process used to link Outlook or Word items into IR.

Is there any "OK dummy, here's what you do first..." available?

Regards,
Chuck Billow
Old 03-24-2010, 04:35 AM

OK dummy, here's what you do first, you go to outlook, left click (and hold the left button) on the email you want to link. Now you navigate to the Data explorer pane of Ultra Recall Application, you will see that the mouse pointer will change to a standard windows "shortcut pointer", and then you drop it where you want your link to appear in the data explorer, by releasing the left-mouse button
Old 03-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
OK dummy, here's what you do first, you go to outlook, left click (and hold the left button) on the email you want to link. Now you navigate to the Data explorer pane of Ultra Recall Application, you will see that the mouse pointer will change to a standard windows "shortcut pointer", and then you drop it where you want your link to appear in the data explorer, by releasing the left-mouse button
That's unfortunate, 'cause that's what I did. But the pointer never changed from the "not here" cirlce with a line through it to a shortcut arrow.

Regards,
Chuck Billow
Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Perhaps you're dragging into a read-only database (use File | New or File | Save As to create an editable database)?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Perhaps you're dragging into a read-only database (use File | New or File | Save As to create an editable database)?
Well Ki nook, I was right, I AM a dummy...
That was it!

Sigh...

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 03-24-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CWBillow
Well Ki nook, I was right, I AM a dummy...
That was it!

Sigh...

Thanks,
Chuck
these read-only sample database did a lot of "damage" .. you are not a first one ... and hardly last one ...

Kinook, wouldn't it make more sense to remove the read-only attribute from those, and have the samples somewhere in the main website/forum if someone wants to download them again?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Then someone would complain that uninstalling didn't remove all files (the samples could not be deleted when uninstalling since the user might have modified them). Plus, non-admin users don't have rights to edit files installed under the Program Files folder anyway (and even admin users operate without admin rights by default on Vista/7). We could copy the files to a user-writeable path when starting UR, but then the start menu shortcut to the samples wouldn't be correct. And if the sample path wasn't backed up, users would blame us for losing data when the hard drive failed (this is less likely when the user must explicitly create/save the editable file). All in all, it's not ideal but not so simple to improve either.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Then someone would complain that uninstalling didn't remove all files (the samples could not be deleted when uninstalling since the user might have modified them). Plus, non-admin users don't have rights to edit files installed under the Program Files folder anyway (and even admin users operate without admin rights by default on Vista/7). We could copy the files to a user-writeable path when starting UR, but then the start menu shortcut to the samples wouldn't be correct. And if the sample path wasn't backed up, users would blame us for losing data when the hard drive failed (this is less likely when the user must explicitly create/save the editable file). All in all, it's not ideal but not so simple to improve either.
Maybe the sample files could just have a note entered into them as the top item -- "Remember, this file is read only and won't work for many operations. MAke a copy and that will solve it!!

Chuck
Old 03-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Many of them do. Also, by default (unless the user checks the 'do not display this message' option), when a read-only database is opened, a dialog with this message is displayed:

"This database is read-only. To make an editable copy, please select File | Save As on the menu bar."
Old 03-24-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Many of them do. Also, by default (unless the user checks the 'do not display this message' option), when a read-only database is opened, a dialog with this message is displayed:

"This database is read-only. To make an editable copy, please select File | Save As on the menu bar."
I obviously wasn't paying attention!

Chuck
Old 03-24-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Then someone would complain that uninstalling didn't remove all files (the samples could not be deleted when uninstalling since the user might have modified them).
yeah, but you probably don't care so much about customers who are uninstalling your app ;-)

plus, they might be uninstalling it because nothing was working how they thought it should (cause it was read only).

Not an easy one, but definitelly needs some thought ... it's usually first encounter with the app through these samples ... and people get's frustrated very easily ...
Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
yeah, but you probably don't care so much about customers who are uninstalling your app ;-)

plus, they might be uninstalling it because nothing was working how they thought it should (cause it was read only).

Not an easy one, but definitelly needs some thought ... it's usually first encounter with the app through these samples ... and people get's frustrated very easily ...
I totally agree with what you are saying, and I had an idea:

Couldn't you devise a tutorial that would walk people through some of these steps? And if done in "blocks", it would be in manageable sized units.

In addition, you might think about having two sets of sample files -0- one hidden -- with a "Repair" instruction in the help.

I am both patient and a pain in the butt for support people, for even if I have to re-do something a billion times, if it's something I really want, and the App is supposed to be able to do it, then I'll go till it works.

Linking to Word and Outlook are critical for me if UR is going to really work for me. and the two-way sync would be fabulous!

Chuck