Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 07-27-2012, 10:58 AM

Behavior of attachments

The following behavior has existed for as long as I have used UR, but I have not questioned it before.

1. I have some stored files in the explorer pane.

2. If I drag any of these stored files to the desktop or a folder, the file is copied to the destination and remains in UR

3. If I drag the file from UR to a new message in my email program (The Bat), the file shows up as an attachment, but is deleted from UR. The same thing happens when dragging to word processing documents, spreadsheets, etc.

Why should this happen? This behavior seems inconsistent to me.

Thank you.

Jon
Old 07-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Administrator

It has to do with the drop information provided by the target application. If it indicates that the drop is a move, it defaults to a move operation. You can hold down the Ctrl key when dropping to force a copy instead of a move. Or double-click NoDeleteOnDropMove.reg in the attached file and restart UR to never delete on a drop operation that indicates a move.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reg.zip (546 Bytes, 801 views)
Old 07-27-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
...You can hold down the Ctrl key when dropping to force a copy instead of a move.
Thank you for this information. I was aware of the CTRL+drag option, but it works differently than what you describe. Holding the CTRL key causes the plus sign to be displayed, but upon release I see only the file name. It is not a link, not an attachment, not an OLE object - it is text.

Jon
Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Then the application accepting the drop must not support copying the provided data formats. Have you tried the .reg file?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Not yet. I'm in the middle of something else, but will try as soon as I get the chance.

Jon
Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 PM

Yes, this does work. Thank you for the solution. I don't know why I did not question this behavior years ago. It is troublesome to have stored files deleted without warning, especially if they are ONLY stored. I guess I got used to it and dragged to the desktop as an intermediary.

Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: