Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 PM

Nuance of importing emails from Postbox

Hi,

Email importing from Postbox seems to work fine, but I have a (I think) configuration question...

The document portion of each email is apparently a link to the original email in Postbox...which is OK. But each time I click on one of the imported emails in the Data Explorer pane, a Postbox window opens to display the contents of the email.

I would prefer to either (1) store the contents of the email in UR, or (2) link to emails as currently happens, but have the option to NOT open the email in a Postbox window unless I choose Open Shortcut (or whatever) in UR.

What are my options here?
Old 02-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Add .eml to Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to edit/view externally.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Ah, I see the effect. And for me it's preferable to having an individual Postbox edit window open each time I click on an email.

But I'd like to see the content of an email in the Item Details pane when I click on the email in the Data Explorer--without having to issue a second click to open the external editor window. From the Help comments it appears possible, but I can't seem to get it done.

I know that UR is storing the contents of my emails, because I can go to PostBox and delete an email but can still open/view it in UR. But I cannot seem to have an email displayed as either richtext or MIME content....and I've tried numerous combinations of Document/Editor/Browser options for .eml files.

Is there something I'm missing?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Administrator

It seems that on some systems, IE has trouble displaying some .eml files and instead launches the associated application. I don't know what Windows/IE setting results in this behavior, and only saw it on one Win 8.1 box (it worked in my tests on another Win 8.1 system, Win 7, and Win 2003).

Try removing .eml from Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser view and adding to Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to display in MIME viewer or Tools | Options | Editor | File extensions to display in text editor. Also try removing .eml from the Browser, MIME, and Editor options -- on the Win 8.1 box that was displaying the message externally, removing .eml from all options resulted in the message displaying properly within UR.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:38 PM

Seems like a UR problem to me.

I tried a couple combinations of what you suggested and ended up with .eml in Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to display in MIME viewer box, and nowhere else. My existing emails which had been earlier imported from Postbox displayed fine, internally, in the MIME viewer.

Then I imported another email from Postbox. With no change in settings, it would only/always display by popping up a Postbox editing window.

I exited and restarted UR, thinking that might affect how settings were applied globally, but the result was the same: old emails were displayed in the MIME viewer but the new one displayed in the popup window.

I then tried different combo's of settings, including adding .eml back to Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to edit/view externally ...which produced the expected result, with a link to click to open the emails.

After this I went back to the MIME viewer only setting. Things were the same as before, with only that one email popping up an external Postbox window.

I then imported another email from Postbox...and it displays properly in the MIME viewer!! So I imported another, and it likewise displays in the MIME viewer.

Next I did a Compact and Repair of the database, but it didn't change anything.

Then I deleted the offending email from UR, went to PostBox and clicked the UR icon to capture it again. And guess what: that particular email still displays by popping up a Postbox window!!

I don't care about that one email, but I wonder if this will be a frequent problem.

By the way, the .URD file is about 1 MB --small enough that I could email it to you if you wanted to have a look.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Please ZIP and post or send a .urd file with the problem email message.
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23
Old 03-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Administrator

All of the .eml files in the database you sent display internally in UR for me (configured to show .eml in the internal browser). Running Win7 x64 SP1, IE 11.0.9600.16518.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:40 PM

Weird.

Oh well, it's a small thing. I just thought you should have a chance to see the problem, if it indeed had manifested itself on your system.

I'm getting along well with UR in all other aspects, and growing to appreciate it more as I understand its nuances.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:58 PM

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue, Postbox as mail client and each imported (stored) mail opens externally in a postbox window, which is annoying. On my Windows 7 system where Windows Live Mail is the default Mail client there is no such issue.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Administrator

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3038
Old 09-25-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
Thanks. Will probably do that but the question was to know if this was an issue in the first place. I have removed .eml fom the list of external viewers extensions, and now stored messages are openend within UR, but not formatted so difficult to read in some cases.

Anyway, I'll follow the directions, whenever I can.

Tags
postbox email open

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: