Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 01-08-2005, 01:55 PM

Synchronizing

Hello:

I am now trying out UltraRecall. I have never used a program like this before, but I have alot of information I want to organize and effectively search.

This may have a simple fix, but I am not figuring it out. I moved a document folder filled with .doc files into the data explorer pane. I can nicely search it.

Now the question: if I create a new word file through Word and save it to that original document folder, ought it not also appear in the folder at the data explorer pane? It has not worked for me. Must there be some sort of synchronization step? When I attempt to do so, the item/synchronize menu is shaded - not active.

What shall I do?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Currently Ultra Recall doesn't have an auto-synchronize feature to automatically create new Info Items for files as they are added to a local folder. We have this type of functionality on our feature request list, our initial idea is to provide a simpler way to identify which files have been added/deleted locally so they can more easily be manually synchronized with an Ultra Recall Info Database.

If you have a Folder Info Item for the folder in question in Ultra Recall (with a valid folder path assigned to a Url Attribute), and you have added *folder to the list of extensions to show in the Internal Browser View (Tools | Options | Browser | File Extensions to display in internal browser view), the folder contents will be displayed in the Item Details Pane, facilitating adding new folder contents (files) to the Data Explorer Pane.

Another option is to simply store your Word documents within the Ultra Recall Info Database (they are stored compressed). You can even create an stored empty Word doc template so you can create new Word documents directly within an Ultra Recall Database.
Steps to create a stored Word Doc template:
1) Open Microsoft Word, then save the empty default document (typically Doc1.doc) somewhere on your hard drive.
2) From Windows Explorer, Cut this new document, then paste it into the templates folder of the Info Database (in Ultra Recall).
3) Rename the new template's Template Name Attribute to whatever you like
4) Rename the Item Title attribute to a suitable default name for new Items (based on this template)
5) Delete the contents of the Url attribute (so it isn't assumed to be linked to a document stored externally)
Note: You can copy (instead of link) your existing items into Ultra Recall then begin adding new Word Documents directly into Ultra Recall with this new template.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:37 AM

Lightbulb

I wish UR was able to interact with both files and Outlook in a more direct fashion. A combination of UR and Omea Pro would be my dream application!!! :-)

I know that you can import folders and access them from inside UR, but if you click on a sub folder it then opens in WE outside UR. Omea Pro's approach to this is in my opinion much better...but then again it doesn't have any outlining or internal objects so....

Regards,
Thomas
Old 01-11-2005, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gqmaxim
I wish UR was able to interact with both files and Outlook in a more direct fashion. A combination of UR and Omea Pro would be my dream application!!! :-)
Mine too.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Another option is to simply store your Word documents within the Ultra Recall Info Database (they are stored compressed). You can even create an stored empty Word doc template so you can create new Word documents directly within an Ultra Recall Database.
Steps to create a stored Word Doc template:...
The steps you listed didn't work for me. When I created a new document and tried to open it, nothing happened.

What did work was if I right-click dragged the blank Word doc into Templates, selected "Move here," modified the Template Name and Item Title attributes as you described, but did NOT clear the URL. After quitting and restarting UR, the new Template appears when I pressed Alt-Ins and I was able to open and edit the new stored Word document.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: