Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2009, 07:15 AM

Lightbulb Substitution Tokens

Quote:
Originally posted by nil
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2144

4. Dynamic Item titles using either Linked attributes, or a custom attribute values, similar to the contact object.

4a. A way to automatically set the title of the object to the current date.

5. Dynamic Templates: Integration of some kind of scripting, or even variable substitution, allowing for instance, $DATE$ within a template to automatically be set to the current date.
With UR 4 released and the possibility of new features reopened, I'd like to revive this suggestion. I could swear I made a similar suggestion, but can't find it. Anyway I think all of the items above are related and call for variables or tokens that will automatically be replaced with a specific value when used in an item or template. They could be edited inline the same way hyperlinks are edited.

We could start off with a few basic substitution tokens such as @@DATE_DD@@ (or any token identifier that would not be mistaken for user data). This, for example, could be placed in a journal entry template's item title attribute to finally get automatic day of month. Another example: @@ITEM_TITLE@@ which could be placed in the Text item template to get the title to automatically appear in the upper left of every text item. Yes, it's redundant, but I often enter this manually so I don't have to keep glancing over at the tree to verify which item I'm working in.

Substitution tokens is one my top remaining wishes for UR!