Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 07-19-2007, 10:08 AM

UR pdf User Manual won't import

I tried pulling the Ultra Recall User Manual into UR today. It is a pdf. Quite a large file (2.37 MB), but I would nonetheless not expect it to be a problem.

It hanged UR whenever I tried to open it after the import, which itself took an age. Has anyone else had this problem?

Stephen
Old 07-19-2007, 10:21 AM

I had expereinced some long import times with pdfs, had to turn off keywording (remove .pdf from extensions to keyword).

Although this did have a marked improvement on importation time, it obviously has the downside of not indexing the contents of the pdf.

In my particular case I was importing pdfs that were blank real estate forms, so indexing was not important.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 AM

Thank you for the suggestion. I thought I'd try it that way. It did import faster. But the moment I tried to display it, first it showed gibberish and then, once again, it hung UR.

I can hyperlink to it and then open it in Wndows Explorer which is what I do with my photos. That workaround works well enough.

It just seems strange that UR won't open its own pdf Manual. Maybe it is just a glitch on my machine, but other pdfs are fine (but perhaps smaller). My machine is high spec so I can't see why it wouldn't work with a largish pdf.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Administrator

I don't think it's actually hanging, just taking a long time (at least that was the case in our tests), and then not retrieving much document text. So far, the only files we've seen that have this problem are our products' PDF files. As you found, removing .pdf from extensions to keyword avoids this delay.

Also, if you don't have a viewer configured for .pdf files [1], and 'Tools | Options | Editor | Show item text for documents with no viewer' is checked, the same PDF component is used to retrieve its text when an item is displayed in UR. This incurs the same delay and shows bogus text in the case of UltraRecall.pdf when it finishes. You can avoid this problem by unchecking that option or configuring another viewer for .pdf.

[1] http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...?threadid=2430
Old 07-20-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the helpful explanation. Administrator active involvement in the forum is one of the best features of owning UR. This, I think, is a good example of just what a difficult task it is for a software manufacturer to produce a product like UR.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: