Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 03-08-2021, 10:39 PM

Automatically starting saved search

In picture Nr. 1 you can see the Quick Search with the Search Criteria Editor / Quick Search Options (the 5 checkboxes). I have checked the box "Search titles only" and then I performed a search for items whose titles start with the letters "ABEND" (= evening). The list with the results (= 6 items) can be seen at the bottom.

All is fine. By clicking on the first entry of the search results the corresponding item would open in the Editor window (Item Details Pane).

Ultra Recall has a very practical feature to speed up the display of the first search result in the Editor window. It is called "Select first match after search completes". It cannot be found in the Search Criteria Options of Quick Search but in the menu Tools --> Options --> Search (as shown in picture Nr. 2).

The pleasant effect of checking this option: After typing (e.g.) the word ABEND in the search field of the View toolbar (or of the Quick Search) and pressing "Enter", the first corresponding item is immediately displayed in the Editor window (--> no need to click on it in the search results list).

Let's assume I want to change my search options in the Search Criteria Editor of the Quick Search window. For example: I want to uncheck again the box "Search titles only".

The problem:
I have no longer access to the Quick Search (neither by clicking on "Quick Search" in the Search pane in the upper left corner nor by clicking on the Search Icon in the View Toolbar). Of course this is logical and desired as long as there is a word (or phrase) to search for in the search field. But even if I remove my last word (e.g. ABEND) and leave the search fields empty (both in the toolbar and in Quick Search) the Quick Search window (= the one in picture Nr. 1) appears only for a second and then there is again my last search result (item) in the window, e.g. the item "ABEND" (see picture Nr. 3).

The only way to get access again to the Quick Search is to uncheck the option "Select first match after search completes" (either via Tools --> Options or via Tools --> Quick Options).

That's neither logical nor comfortable - the more as often I will prefer to continue with this option and will have to remove it only for having access to the Search Criteria Editor / Quick Search Options.

Whenever the search field is empty, to my mind a click on the search symbol in the toolbar or on "Quick Search" in the Search Pane should open the Quick Search with the Search Criteria Editor.
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter-123; 03-08-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:18 AM
Administrator

It's really the 'Automatically start saved search when search item selected' option that matters here. But we made a change in the latest download to not automatically start a blank search even with that option selected.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:23 PM

Looks like this latest change broke something else.

I created search items all the time with no issues. With release below, I'm unable to create a new search item. I mean, it creates it, but clicking on the search item returns the error.

Ultra Recall Professional 6.1 (x64)
Copyright © 2004-2021 Kinook Software, Inc.
Registered to: *** (1-user license)
Windows version: Windows 10 Home
Install path: C:\Program Files\UltraRecall
HRW15.DLL version 15.0.0.1
HTW21.DLL version 21,0,0,0
MSPTLS.DLL version 16.0.11929.20048
msvcr100.dll version 10.00.40219.325
PolarSpellChecker.dll version 4.0.5.6
RICHED20.DLL version 16.0.11929.20048
SftPrintPreview_x64_U_20.dll version 2.07
TEW26.DLL version 26.0.0.7
UltraRecall.exe version 6.1.0.8
unins000.exe version 51.52.0.0
Database filename: C:\Users\****\***e\****.urd
Database version: 4.0.1 [FTS]
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2021, 01:29 PM

Just found out, disabling this feature resolves the error. The problem now is I do need to the search to trigger when selecting it.

I'm downgrading to the older release till this is resolved.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
But we made a change in the latest download [...]
I just tested the latest download (Trial Version, 6.1.0.8).

But I see no difference. Exactly the same problem as described in my first post when the options "Automatically start saved search when search item selected" and "Select first match after search completes" are checked.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewtonne View Post
Just found out, disabling this feature resolves the error. The problem now is I do need to the search to trigger when selecting it.

I'm downgrading to the older release till this is resolved.
Fixed in the latest download (6.1.0.9).
Old 03-09-2021, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter-123 View Post
I just tested the latest download (Trial Version, 6.1.0.8).

But I see no difference. Exactly the same problem as described in my first post when the options "Automatically start saved search when search item selected" and "Select first match after search completes" are checked.
If you click on the quick search combo on the View toolbar, clear the value (if not blank), and press Enter, it will open the Quick Search item with a blank value but not initiate a search, even if the Automatically start option is checked. And when selecting a search item, if the previous search term was blank, it will not automatically start the search.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:18 PM

The issue I reported is resolved. Appreciate the great support.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinook View Post
If you click on the quick search combo on the View toolbar, clear the value (if not blank), and press Enter, [...]
Thanks. Now it works. So I have to press Enter! I tried with clicking the search icon or "Quick Search" in the Search Pane after clearing the value.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: