Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 07:15 PM

Incremental Sync

I use Time and Chaos with their quite expensive ChaosHost option so that I can sync my data to their server and (as well as access it online) sync it back down to my PC at home.

Syncing does not take a long time - even with 1000's of items - as it only syncs the changes.

I think it would be fantastically valuable if UR could have some sort of facility to sync two copies of the same database file. Then one could be stored on an FTP-mapped drive which is accessible anywhere.

I'm not so sure about using FTP though - you might need block level syncing for incrementals....

In anycase there are block-level remote access systems (samba?) which I would happily implement to allow me to access my UR data store from several locations.

I'm not keen on just carying the data on USB as this is not necessarily always carried on one's person and is not particularly safe. It's also a hassle.

Of course if you were to release a "web-viewer" which could be installed on the same server as where the data was stored that would be a real bonus!

Best regards,
Daniel
Old 01-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Re: Incremental Sync

Quote:
Originally posted by danson
I use Time and Chaos with their quite expensive ChaosHost option so that I can sync my data to their server and (as well as access it online) sync it back down to my PC at home.

Syncing does not take a long time - even with 1000's of items - as it only syncs the changes.

I think it would be fantastically valuable if UR could have some sort of facility to sync two copies of the same database file. Then one could be stored on an FTP-mapped drive which is accessible anywhere.

In anycase there are block-level remote access systems (samba?) which I would happily implement to allow me to access my UR data store from several locations.
This might be an option:
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=997

Quote:
I'm not keen on just carying the data on USB as this is not necessarily always carried on one's person and is not particularly safe. It's also a hassle.
A secure USB stick may be an option:
http://www.lexar.com/jumpdrive/jd_secureII.html
Old 01-18-2006, 09:26 AM

Just to share the solution I discovered: Unison

This is a very efficient synchroniser - especially if it's just doing one UR database file. I have it synchronised to my server and can pull it down everywhere. It only pulls down the changes in the file so is very fast:

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

I created a batch file that I can run which will silently and automatically synchronise the file to the server and then shut down my comptuer. I run it at the end of my work day - it doesn't matter if it takes a few minutes (normally seconds) as it will shut down when it's finished anyway.

When i get home I synchronise the file with my server and now I'm working on the same set of data.

I'll write a full 'howto' if there is much demand for it.

In summary you will need:

1. Server space
2. An ssh client (i use vsh which I got with SecureCRT from http://www.vandyke.com/)
3. Unison (text edition is sufficient)
Im using: unison-2.17.1-win-text.exe
4. A batch file to do the clever stuff like shutdown after finishing.

Daniel
Old 11-16-2006, 11:07 PM

Hi Daniel,

I have a work PC and home PC and want to keep 1 UR file sync'd on a web server. I would be greatful if you could post a full howto on how you got this working.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Quote:
Originally posted by danson
I'll write a full 'howto' if there is much demand for it.

In summary you will need:

1. Server space
2. An ssh client (i use vsh which I got with SecureCRT from http://www.vandyke.com/)
3. Unison (text edition is sufficient)
Im using: unison-2.17.1-win-text.exe
4. A batch file to do the clever stuff like shutdown after finishing.

Daniel [/B]
Old 12-01-2006, 03:24 AM

Nice synchronization features

Hi,

I've been watching EverNote from time to time. The organization model and overall look & feel do not please me. However they have just added a nice synchronization feature at the item level.

I really would like to be able to synchronize distributed URD files. I have a desktop at home and a laptop at work. I would like to synhcornize the items in both. I would not like a USB key though. I would love to synchonize through a web server somewhere.

For example EssentailPIM is starting something great also. You have a web based application whose look is very similar to the local application and synchronize seamlessly. This is exactly what I would like for my URD files.

Best regards
Eric
Old 12-01-2006, 03:43 AM

Hi Guys,

I agree - an integrated sync would be best.

An online version of the software would be really awsome. The last organiser I used was Time & Chaos. They had a service ChaosHost that was subscription based.

If the did this I would Ideally I'd like Kinook to release two options:

1. Service - Kinook does the hosting and you pay them a yearly fee.

2. Install - Kinook sells the online component and the user installs and hosts it themselves.

As far as my setup I'll try to remember what I did to get things working and post a fuller howto.

Daniel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: