Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 PM

Question Search questions

All,

Pardon me for asking the obvious, but after months of trying to use UR, I still haven't mastered searching reliably. So, using this example, I ask:

I want to search for the item MPN3700 in the title. I use Advanced Search/Item Title/Contains Keywords. I type MPN* and it returns the item I seek. BUT, if I type *3700, nothing is found.

Conversely, if I search using Advanced Search/Item Title/Matches Wildcard, I get nothing when I enter MPN*, but get the item when I enter *3700.

WHY?!?!

Or to better define my question:

How can I search for any string anywhere? Whether it's a "word" as defined by having a space or punctuation on either side of it, or contained within another string. I would ultimately like to search for this string in the item title, any attribute, or the text of an item.

Is there a way to do this?

Bill
Old 06-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Quick search of *3700* or Advanced search of (Item) matches wildcard *3700* (or *MPN*).
Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 AM

Kinook,

I just tried your suggestion. When I type *MPN* in Advanced , I get the correct item. When I type *3700*, I don't. In fact, when I type *3700*, I get something entirely different than when I enter *MPN*; a word within a .PDF file.

In Quick search, neither search term returns anything.

Are there any options to searching that may be set incorrectly to prevent me from finding things in quick search?

Bill
Old 06-03-2014, 10:26 AM

Kinook,

OOOOOOPS!! I entered *MPN*, got the results, then entered *3700*, but failed to notice when I entered the new search term that The "Comparison" operator changed itself to "Contains Keywords". With that operator set properly, the search returns properly.

But, the bigger issue is...where can I learn the meaning of these operators? The help files are a bit skimpy on details, and searching is key to my usage.

Bill
Old 06-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Generally, a Quick search of specific words, phrases, or *word* to match anywhere within a word should find what you need. For Advanced search, the Matches wildcard operator is the equivalent of a quick search.

Since v4, UR uses SQLite's full-text search feature by default (rather than auto-generated keywords), so 'Contains keywords' is only meaningful for manually assigned user-defined keywords.

More details here:
http://kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manual...noperators.htm

http://kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manual/phrasesearch.htm

http://kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manual...d_keywords.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: