Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] Third Party Tools

Old 05-25-2004, 02:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to AlexB
How to perform P4 opened for file

I want to perform "p4 opened <some file>" in the P4 action for any changelist, but VBP performs "p4 opened -c default <some file>" instead. The file is opened not in the default change list and I don't know the changelist number.

How can I perform P4 action without specifying changelist?

P.S.
I think VBP must not specify any changelist if I didn't specify it in the "Change List #: field". If I want to specify "default" changelist, I'll fill the Change list # filed with "default". This is actually for other actions too (submit, reopen etc).
Old 05-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Administrator

That was one situation we didn't anticipate. The download has been updated with a fix to not add the -c flag for the opened command if * is entered in the changelist field (the existing blank behavior was retained for backward compatibility with existing projects).

BTW, the opened command is the only command where -c default is added if the changelist field is blank (and be aware that the P4 submit command submits only the default changelist if no changelist is specified).
Old 06-09-2004, 11:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to AlexB
I don't think this is a good solution.
If I want to submit some file(s), I use "Submit " step and specify the file list. Now, I don't know changelist number and I don't want to specify it.

To carry out Submit step VBP performs "Opened" command and after that "Submit" command.

So, if I not specified changelist, the "Opened" command may failed because -c default is added, but if I specified changelist as "*", "Submit" failed because changelist "*" doesn't exist.
So, I can't submit file(s) from unknown changelist.

IMHO, if changelist not specified, it is no need to add "-c default" to any command. If I want to work with default changelist, I'll specify "default" in changelist filed.

Thanks for your answer and advice.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:34 PM

Did you download and reinstall Visual Build Pro since kinook's previous post? As kinook stated, the published version was modified to accomodate your required functionality (the ability to submit a list of files to perforce in any change list) with * changelist syntax.

When you specify * as the changelist for a submit call, then the * will be interpreted as meaning use any change list and Visual Build Pro will submit the appropriate command-line call.

If you specify a list of files and * for changelist, then the opened call won't even take place (because you are specifying the files), and p4 submit will be called without a -c parameter.

If you don't specify a list of files and * from changelist, then the both the opened and submit p4 calls will be called without a -c parameter.

Please ensure you have the latest version installed and test it again. I am confident that you will see the behaviour described above.

I understand this Visual Build Pro syntax is somewhat different that what Perforce uses, this solution was chosen for backwards compatibility reasons (but should perform identically).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: