Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

View Poll Results: Rename "Collapse All" to "Collapse" and add a true Collapse All command
Yes 6 66.67%
No 2 22.22%
Not sure 0 0%
Don't care/understand 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2010, 08:54 AM

Collapse and Collapse All Command

Rename the current "Collapse All" command to "Collapse" or "Collapse Selection" and add a new "Collapse All" command that will really collapse ALL regardless of where you are in the tree.

I did a search and found a good thread on this in General Discussion titled "Huge Data Explorer Pane and UR performance". As discussed there and probably other places, a shortcut is available for this: Home -> Shift + Left Arrow. However, if you do this a lot, a single command is nicer (I use it more than Hoist). Both commands would appear in the Tree right-click menu. It doesn't need to be on any toolbar by default, but I would definitely add it myself.

Not a big priority, but should be relatively simple to implement right? (Famous last words.)
Old 05-06-2010, 04:35 AM

Hmmm, 61 views at the moment and still only 1 vote. I can only speculate what is going on. Moderator, could you please update the poll to include three more choices (thanks):

1. Yes
2. No
3. Not sure
4. I don't care
5. I don't understand

This could be more informative. If there are still no votes after this modification, it may say something larger about polls in general.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:56 AM

News Update: The number of votes has doubled in the last hour! Thanks mom!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:31 PM

Several more have voted! Thanks. (I was only joking about getting my mother to vote. ).

I'm surprised by almost as many No votes as Yes. Would any No voters mind explaining why you are against others having this feature? If it's just something you personally don't care about, please vote don't care instead. Sorry, don't care/understand were combined into a single answer, so it would also help to explain if it's one or the other. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Well, 160+ views and only 7 votes. My first guess would be users of this forum are largely not interested in polls. I say this mainly because most polls I've seen on this site have an extremely low vote to views ratio.

It's not that big a deal. There are more important discussions going on in the Kinook forums, but poll questions, results and usage patterns are somewhat interesting to me.

It probably would have been more appropriate to combine "don't understand" with "not sure". "Don't care/not important" should stand on it's own. Some may not be opposed to a particular suggestion, but just don't care one way or the other. The two "no" votes could actually be in this category, but combination with "don't understand" sent them to the cleaner "no" choice.

The lingering question for me is--are non-voting views in this and other polls mainly implicit "don't care" votes, implicit "not sure/don't understand" votes or indication of my initial premise (general lack of interest in polls)?

Okay, I've enjoyed this little dialog with myself and will now let this thread die a natural death. My thanks to those who voted.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:46 AM

"views counter" is not very useful cause if you opened this page 100 times, it would be 100. it should be more sophisticated and count only unique "customers" using ip/user information ...
Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
"views counter" is not very useful cause if you opened this page 100 times, it would be 100. it should be more sophisticated and count only unique "customers" using ip/user information ...
Yeah, I do realize that. I wish there was another counter for unique views. But I've viewed this thread maybe 15-20 times and I doubt if anyone else has been here more than once or twice, so it's still indicative of a very low vote to view ratio. From what I've seen this is typical in many forums (fora if you wish).

It would be interesting to get feedback/insight from non-voters on why that is. A common answer would probably be: "I scan a post long enough to see if I'm interested. If not, I leave immediately." A very small percentage of forum users provide "90%" of the content and participation.

This is not really a big surprise to anyone. It's a natural consequence of short attention span that comes with so many varied interests and distractions. It's just that I suddenly got the urge to post some thoughts on it...
Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 PM

I think a real collapse-all, esp. in the form of a toolbar button, would be helpful.

Frankly, I use hoist to manage my lengthy tree. I use the Favorites toolbar to make going from segment to segment as simple as possible.

One related idea would be this: in the Miscellaneous tab of the Options dialog, under Favorites, have another checkbox that says, Collapse tree when going to Favorite.

Then it would be fairly simple to Favorite the root node. Mission accomplished.

- Bal
Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Thanks guys for your comments on this relatively minor convenience issue. Wordmuse, one-click would be ideal for me, but I like your favorites idea too. Choice is good (as long as level of effort is reasonable). Current functionality is not bad at only 2 clicks, but those of us with large trees wind up doing a scroll and then 2 clicks...

I like hoist too--after I see where in the tree I want to land. And I'm trying to keep favorites from getting as long as my tree. LOL!

BTW, my tree is not flat. I do have major categories that can go pretty deep. So it's mainly when drilled down...you guys already know what I mean.

Last edited by mikeg; 05-27-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:12 AM

Smile

Added in 4.2. Thank you Kinook!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: