Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 07-09-2022, 01:10 PM

Advise - Create a new RTF info item

Hi. I am new to UR. I am looking for some advice on better recommended ways to create a new Info Item in my database – a rtf (rich text file) item. I loaded my new UR database via drag and drop, and this new UR database is largely comprised of rtf files.

I know that I can copy and paste one of these rtf Info items and using Rename have a rtf Info Item that will work fine for me. Likewise, I can go to Microsoft Word, create an rtf file, and then drag and drop, or otherwise Import this file into UR.

Are the above really pretty good approaches, or would you recommend creating a derived template or something, to create a new rtf type of Info Item as I need them? I am somewhat uncertain about how to create such a Template. Can you give me some advice?
Old 07-09-2022, 04:25 PM
Administrator

If the Default Child Template of the current item is Text (which it is for another Text item), and focus is in the tree (press Ctrl+1 to move there if not), you can press Insert to create a new RTF item, then type the name of the item and press Tab to begin entering your text.

Otherwise, you can right-click on an item and choose Insert Child -> Text (or Alt+Insert, T) to create an RTF item, regardless of the current item's default child template.

You can get more elaborate than that if you wish, for instance, create your own RTF templates with boilerplate text or styles, but that isn't necessary.

You can also duplicate RTF files that you imported and rename them, or create in Word and import, but that would be more steps to do.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:22 AM

Thanks. Yes, that worked just fine. I have a better understanding.

Your help, also lead me to the Help file page titled: Stored Document Templates , which I was able to follow, and implement. Again Thanks.
Old 07-10-2022, 05:38 AM

Previously I had been thinking that the UR Text Info Item – was just a plain old .txt file. No fonts, no formatting. That was what my previously now orphaned PIM software used for its text files. The UR Text info item is more powerful and flexible than I had realized, as it allows fonts, formatting, tables, and such.

Tags
rtf microsoft word

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: