Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2011, 02:27 PM

Having a look at UR

Hi!

For the last few years I've been looking for a knowledge base to save different type of data in. I'm working as a software developer, so what I want to do is save:

-Small snippets of code ("best practises"/tips/tricks)
-Error-messages and how we solved the problem
-Documentation
-Plans/outlines for projects
-"Things to remember"

and many other things.

For the last couple of years I've used the Remlap Knowledge Base. It's not that bad, but not exactly what I have been looking for, it is a little buggy, and also hasn't got that much options for exporting data. So in the end I haven't used it as much as I should have (don't want to gather a lot of data that I can't easily migrate to another system). I've also tried PersonalBrain, but I found the GUI more confusing than helpful, and it took forever to start the program.

For the last week I've been testing Ultra Recall, and it looks very promising, I must say (lightyears ahead of Remlap). What I'm missing most so far is the ability to mark words in my text and press some hotkey to make that word a keyword for that document (like in Remlap), but it seems that a keyword-pane++ is on it's way in the next version, so I'm looking forward to that.

A problem I have run into a couple of times is when I'm pasting an image (e.g. a screenshot) from the clipboard into a text document. The document then has become inresponsive, while all other objects (like the tree-view etc) has functioned correctly. I've managed to save the document after much hassle and restart of UR, but I hope this isn't a problem that is often experienced, as pasting images into my knowledge base is something I would do quite often.

But I have a question:
I'm looking at this program for using it myself right now, as a single user, but if it works out fine I guess it's possible that the whole team I'm working with (5 programmers) will be using UR. I get the impression that UR Pro can be used multiuser, but that it isn't a "fully implemented" multiuser-solution(?). Does anyone have experience in sharing a UR database with other concurrent users? Is it hard to set up, or is it just a matter of putting the database files on a shared volume?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Yes, a UR database can be shared with multiple users by placing on a network share.
http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...odatabases.htm