Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 AM

Email client integration

Is it possible to add some 'send to UR' options to the Windows Mail menus?

I'd be surprised if it were, but it can't hurt to ask.

Does this already exist with Thunderbird, or can it be done? It'd be a(nother) good reason to switch.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:33 AM

Re: Email client integration

Quote:
Originally posted by Hilary
Is it possible to add some 'send to UR' options to the Windows Mail menus? [snip]

Does this already exist with Thunderbird, [/snip]
If you don't switch to Thunderbird which does have the function you want, here's a workaround that I use.

I 'save as' email msgs (eml) that need tracking to a folder which I call 'sync mail'. Then in UR I link & sync w that folder <CTRL><F5>.

I add reminders to those emails that need answering, etc. so they pop up as reminders. When I open the email msg, it opens in its native email client.

When done I delete w <SHFT><DEL> to delete both UR email + email in sync folder.

Does that help?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:18 AM

It will when I've wrapped my head round it and practised a couple of times, thanks.

[editing to remove dumb request for help. Try the right click menu, Hilary...]

Windows Mail already saves emails individually as .eml files within their own folders. So it looks as though the step with creating a new folder and 'saving as' is optional. You could just create a new email folder, find where the heck Windows has stored it (C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders\... ) and send/link this to UR. I imagine starting out with just one or two emails in this folder might be good. I just tried importing a folder with 100+ emails, and it took quite a few minutes.

Not bad, not bad at all. Thank you.

What would be perfect, though - right-clicking an email in the email Inbox and adding a reminder, task, keywords, etc..., so I could process all my email without having to toggle between windows.

Last edited by Hilary; 11-28-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
It will when I've wrapped my head round it and practised a couple of times, thanks. How do you 'link and sync' a folder? Where can I read more about this?[snip]
Link to folder = Import Folder into UR
Sync to Folder should appear in UR right click/context menu (I think it actually sez 'Synchronize')

Quote:
Windows Mail already saves emails individually as .eml files within their own folders. So it looks as though the step with creating a new folder and 'saving as' is optional. [snip]
I don't user Windows email client but all email clients do as you describe one way or another. I have taken the habit of creating my own folder where I keep all my UltraRecall documents so I don't interfere w anything else. When I delete I'm deleting only in that folder & not the email client folder... if that makes sense to you.

Quote:
What would be perfect - right-clicking an email in the email Inbox and adding a reminder, task, keywords, etc...
Once your email is in UR, you can do pretty much anything you want to it, i.e add reminder, keywords, etc.

To simplify data entry you could also consider creating a document import form w all the fields you want so you don't have to work in the attributes pane.

Hope that helps. Others may have better/simpler/more streamlined/clever approaches than this so give the forum members a few days for other suggestions.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:18 AM

Only one question after experimenting with this - what about the effects of deleting files from the folder outside UltraRecall? Not good: the deleted emails are still all listed in UR, this generates access violation and error messages all over the shop, and one final error message when I try to re-synchronise the folder. I gave up and deleted it from UR altogether.

Rats.

Does this mean that once you've synchronised a folder, you can only delete its files from within UR? That would be a nuisance, but could be done. Only what if you want to move an email to an archive after handling it? Then, it seems, the folder in UR - with all your keywording, reminders and all - would become un-synchronisable and unusable.

Not a success.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Only one question after experimenting with this - what about the effects of deleting files from the folder outside UltraRecall? Not good: the deleted emails are still all listed in UR, this generates access violation and error messages all over the shop, and one final error message when I try to re-synchronise the folder. I gave up and deleted it from UR altogether.

Rats.

Does this mean that once you've synchronised a folder, you can only delete its files from within UR? That would be a nuisance, but could be done. Only what if you want to move an email to an archive after handling it? Then, it seems, the folder in UR - with all your keywording, reminders and all - would become un-synchronisable and unusable.

Not a success.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I use what I described & it works for me.

However, I can tell you that I 'save as' only those emails I'm interested in to the UR sync folder so essentially it's a copy of what's in my email client. All deletions, then are linked only to that folder, not to my email client.

I handle my email client separately, i.e. I set time limits for cleaning out folders, delete what I want, etc -- all of which has no effect on what's in UR.

The other thing you should know is that I don't use Outlook and if you are & are trying to sync Outlook w UR, then you will have to pose that question to someone else as I know less than nothing about Outlook synchronization.

But if you are using Outlook Express or any other independent client, then what I described should work as it does here. Hope you find your own solution.

When you do, please post it here. Thanks & good luck.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 AM

I'm not nearly so efficient with my email... which is why I'm hoping to get UR or something to shout at me about what needs doing, when.

I don't have Outlook - if I did, I think I'd have all I need to organise email without involving UR at all. But you can imagine how much I want to buy Office.

I suppose what I really have is a general question about synchronising folders. I'll post that in the right place and see if anyone can help.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I'm not nearly so efficient with my email... which is why I'm hoping to get UR or something to shout at me about what needs doing, when. [snip]
Me too & that's exactly what UR does for me. For example I get email notices that a bill is upcoming for tel or electric or other things. I save those emails to my UR file, sync to that folder & add a reminder when the bill is due it pops up. I pay the bill & delete the email both within UR.

Syncing is very easy. Just import any folder from your directory into UR.

If you delete a file from that folder outside of UR, i.e. from whatever program made it, the file will only disappear from UR after you sync again.

OTOH, if you delete the file from within UR using the keystrokes I mentioned, UR will delete the file from UR's reminders, etc plus from the folder where it resided on your hard drive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: