Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 11:30 AM

highlighting searched words

There's a thread somewhere on this subject which has gone back & forth.

Kinook took the position that it doesn't help in the searching a document & offered a 3rd party program which works in any program to find/highlight any word quickly & efficiently (it does).

But I found Kinook's argument a bit ironic considering that searching the help file seems to highlight the search criteria in the display page

Presumably highighting is a help in the help files so it's helpful there why shouldn't it be a help in plain searching of a document?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:48 AM

Re: highlighting searched words

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
But I found Kinook's argument a bit ironic considering that searching the help file seems to highlight the search criteria in the display page

Presumably highighting is a help in the help files so it's helpful there why shouldn't it be a help in plain searching of a document?
That is a standard windows help file format with "chm" extension and its features, and has nothing to do with UR functionality, UltraRecall.chm
Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 PM

Re: Re: highlighting searched words

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
That is a standard windows help file format with "chm" extension and its features, and has nothing to do with UR functionality, UltraRecall.chm
Bet that as it may, it does not change the fact that highlighting is used extensively in the help file.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: highlighting searched words

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
Bet that as it may, it does not change the fact that highlighting is used extensively in the help file.
(sorry, english is not my mother language, I dont know what you mean by the above sentence )

Just to add, that I'd welcome the highlighting feature as well!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: highlighting searched words

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
(sorry, english is not my mother language, I dont know what you mean by the above sentence )

Just to add, that I'd welcome the highlighting feature as well!
No problem & your English is fine. What it means is that even though what you say is true, it does not change the fact that highlighting is part of the help system that kinook selected to help users. So if it is in help system, there is more reason to argue that highlighting will help users in other areas of the program. Hope this helps explain my short sentence.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:36 AM

Jan,

I support your request.

I think it should be possible to add this feature because UR provides the Find functionality on single page (Ctrl+F). If you use this feature then UR highlights the matching words in the text.

You have to enter the search term twice with the current functionality. The first for the search on the database and the second in a choosen item for the text with the mentioned Ctrl+F. It is ok for me but a direct highlight would be much more helpful.

Dominik
Old 03-20-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nisced
Jan,

I support your request.

I think it should be possible to add this feature because UR provides the Find functionality on single page (Ctrl+F). If you use this feature then UR highlights the matching words in the text.

You have to enter the search term twice with the current functionality. The first for the search on the database and the second in a choosen item for the text with the mentioned Ctrl+F. It is ok for me but a direct highlight would be much more helpful.

Dominik
Being able to have search terms highlight is of great advantage, especially in long documents.

Presumably one of the arguments for using computers is to save time -- highlighted search terms is a great time saver and, therefore, ought reasonably to be expected to be part of information programs.

Daly
Old 03-20-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nisced
Jan, I support your request. [snip] You have to enter the search term twice with the current functionality. The first for the search on the database and the second in a choosen item for the text with the mentioned Ctrl+F. [snip] Dominik
Hopefully Kinook will see the logic of this request. I can think of other things I'd rather see first but this would certainly be an useful addition to a sophisticated program.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:46 AM

Me too, I have asked for it before, have managed without it but would make things a whole lot easier if it could be done in one go.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:14 AM

I don't want my keyword searches automatically highlighted for me. My searches are most often to find a document not the keyword.
In applications that do this - I find the highlighted words too distracting when I read and a problem when I want to copy to another document or email.

Possibilities - a check box in 'Find in items' to highlight all or check box in search to highlight keywords.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by $bill
[snip] I find the highlighted words too distracting [/snip]Possibilities - a check box in 'Find in items' to highlight all or check box in search to highlight keywords.
I think this is a good idea as not everyone uses UR the same way; one of the beauties of a program like URp.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:46 PM

handyfind solves this problem

If you use IE as your brower, then a little free program called Handyfind allows you to find/highlight terms in any IE or even rtf/doc page. This works beautifully inside UR.

Google the name to find it.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 AM

Re: handyfind solves this problem

Quote:
Originally posted by UR user
If you use IE as your brower, then a little free program called Handyfind allows you to find/highlight terms in any IE or even rtf/doc page. This works beautifully inside UR.[snip]
I have it & you are right. One can always find a 3rd party utility to do something. But why load in one more program than necessary. Even Windows Help (used in URp) has an option to hightlight or not. I don't think it should be a big deal as long as it's an option as not everyone searches the same way.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:37 PM

I want to resurrect what seems to be a dead horse.
I think that highlighting of a search term is a necessary and desirable attribute of any modern information manager. Maybe some will want to turn off that feature, but it SHOULD be there. My reading of this thread did not show up any comment by Kinook as to why we can't have a highlighting feature. If there is no good reason why we cannot have such a feature--built in to UR--then why is it not there?
MyInfo has had it for years.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:08 PM

it's already on the (not updated) roadmap ...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: