Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 06-19-2006, 09:29 AM

Ultra Recall on a Server??

I've been using UR for about 4 months... nice product!

At my work, I have been tasked with creating a competitive knowledgebase.

I need to store word docs, excel, pdf, powerpoint, web clippings, notes, scanned documents....

I can see that UR would do a good job, but my boss wants it on a server so the whole marketing dept can add/edit/search...

Can I do this with UR??????

If not any ideas on what product could???

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:23 AM

I can think of two posibilities:

1. IF you have an existing Citrix (or Windows Terminal) solution in place, you could publish the application to the Marketing department and keep the database on a shared network drive. This has the advantage of allowing access to the data from any where and, when updates to UR come out, only having to update one installation. You will, of course have to work out the licensing with Kinook for concurrant use from one physical terminal server...

2. You could install a copy of UR on each PC in Marketing and, again, put the database on a share volume on the network. You won't need Citrix for this but if the team needs to access the data from the field, you will need a VPN connection and the data access times will be longer. When updates come out, you will need to arrange to have all the PCs indevidualy updated.

Hope this helps.

Sean
Old 07-24-2006, 12:05 PM

The above discussion brings up a simple question: is UR able to handle concurrent editing of a single database by a number of network users?

I would expect it to be, given its SQL infrastructure, though usually a client-server architecture is required to handle concurrent editing, locking records being edited. As far as I can tell from what I've read UR is not designed for this kind of work.

I am using UR as a desktop application and very happily covering my personal information management needs. However, a customer has seen my database and is interested in using in in a 40+ employee environment; it seems to me that the current application is not suitable for that, though in terms of features I would be unable to suggest any other.

alx
Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 AM

Ultra Recall can be installed on a server and accessed/edited by 40+ users, but the underlying architecture was not optimized for this usage. Much like Microsoft Access (another multi-user, non-client/server database application), Ultra Recall was optimized for small numbers of users over a LAN-speed network.

If the users will rarely be editing the same records concurrently or will mostly need only readonly access to shared .urd files, then the performance of Ultra Recall in the stated environment may well be acceptable, under a higher concurrent usage load it could be disappointing...

Note: I am not aware of any applications that can handle highly concurrent editing without the use of a client/server architecture.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: