Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM

How to Delete Imported Icons?

I imported a lot of icons (from famfamfam) into UR Pro, thinking they would be available in all UR databases. But I found out they're only available in the one db I imported them into. Now I can't figure out how to get rid of the ones I don't want.

(1) How can I delete some of the icons? I can't find anything in the Help file or the forums about this.

(2) Is it better to place the icons I want for each database in separate folders on my hard drive and link to them from each Ultra Recall database? How do I link to a folder or file? When I tried to follow instructions in the Help file, I couldn't get it to work.

TIA for any help.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Re: How to Delete Imported Icons?

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurieN

(1) How can I delete some of the icons? I can't find anything in the Help file or the forums about this.
http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...hlightsub=icon
"When the last Info Item referencing an Icon is either Deleted or assigned a different Icon, that unreferenced Icon will be removed from the Info Database."
So if you delete the Item with the undesirable icon you imported (and empty the recycle bin), it will be gone.

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurieN

(2) Is it better to place the icons I want for each database in separate folders on my hard drive and link to them from each Ultra Recall database? How do I link to a folder or file?
You could do it like this....create a new folder in UR for the new icons called NiceIcons....unzip the famfamfam icons....then from windows explorer drag and drop the ones you like onto the NiceIcons folder in UR (creating new Items with links). For each of these new items, UR has captured the icon of the *.ico file it is linked to and the icon will be available to other items via the icon attribute. Now for the untidy part--you can delete the *.ico files from your hard drive and thus break the link. However the captured icon lives on in UR until you delete the last item using it. You can also copy an item with a desirable icon to another UR database, and the icon will become available in that database as well.

Once I get the icons I want, I delete the .ico files and just keep a copy of the famfamfam.zip for possible future use.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:44 AM

Thanks for the reply, $Bill. Since I added a dozen or so icons and many would not be used in that database, I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait until I had unreferenced icons. I guess I'll have to reference each of the (so far) unused icons and then delete the items that reference them to get rid of the icons I don't want in that databse. Luckily I waited for an answer to my question before importing the icons into my other DBs. For my genealogy research DB, I want quite a few icons that I will have to add myself.

I like your answer to my question #2. That's what I'll do from now on--except that I had to use icons that I found in various places--not just in the famfamfam.zip file. So I'll zip them all up together in an "extra" icons file.

Thanks again.