Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 AM

Importing From Outlook

I seem to have a problem when importing some email messages from Outlook into UR. It will show the subject there but the body will be blank and then when you try to view it, it calls my download manager (downloadstudio) with the following file name

file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Mark/Local Settings/Temp/UltraRecall/1137/X-Setup Pro License Center.msg

It's odd as the message I'm trying to import is just a plain text message. Another problem I have seen with another one that I'm trying to import is that instead of it showing the message in the UR window, it opens Outlook instead.

Totally closing (killing processes) downloadstudio doesn't fix it either, as that is the first thing I tried...

Anyone else seen anything like this and found a fix for it?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator

It is IE/Outlook (hosted in UR) that is opening the message externally. Try using a different viewer for .msg files (remove .msg from Tools | Options | Browser | File extensions to display in internal browser and add to Tools | Options | Documents | File extensions to display in MIME viewer or Tools | Options | Editor | File extensions to display in text editor).
Old 05-06-2010, 05:35 PM

I did try the suggestion to remolve it from the browser extensions and add it to the MIME one and that seemed to work, although don't like how they loose any formatting with the message. Any ideas as to why it picks certain messages not to work with? These are just plain text too so no real reason why it shouldn't work.

On a side note, I noticed one of the imported emails had a little padlock on the icon for it in UR. What does that signify?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdog
I did try the suggestion to remolve it from the browser extensions and add it to the MIME one and that seemed to work, although don't like how they loose any formatting with the message. Any ideas as to why it picks certain messages not to work with? These are just plain text too so no real reason why it shouldn't work.
Maybe IE can only display formatted emails and not plain text messages?
Quote:
On a side note, I noticed one of the imported emails had a little padlock on the icon for it in UR. What does that signify?

Thanks,
Mark
I'm not sure -- post a screen shot or a .urd file with the item.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:38 AM

Hi Mark,
1. Which version of Outlook are you running?
2. Have you run scanpst to ensure your outlook.pst isn't corrupt?
3. Have you run Tools > Compact and Repair... in UR first?
Armstrong
Old 05-07-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kinook
Maybe IE can only display formatted emails and not plain text messages?I'm not sure -- post a screen shot or a .urd file with the item.
Some of the other messages I have copied into there are also plain text so not sure why it "doesn't like" these few. I also noticed another oddity, eventhough I had copied them, it appears it is linked instead as it doesn't say "stored" is there a way to convert them from linked to stored?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by armsys
Hi Mark,
1. Which version of Outlook are you running?
2. Have you run scanpst to ensure your outlook.pst isn't corrupt?
3. Have you run Tools > Compact and Repair... in UR first?
Armstrong
I'm running Outlook XP (an oldie I know) I have run scanpst and nothing showed up. I've even ru-ran the compact utilility for the PST file as well.

I did try the Compact and Repair tool in UR and still has the same issue, so not sure what is going on with it.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdog
I also noticed another oddity, eventhough I had copied them, it appears it is linked instead as it doesn't say "stored" is there a way to convert them from linked to stored?
Select the item and choose Item | Store Contents on the menu. Note that when copying and pasting into UR, the default behavior is to link unless the Control key is held down when dropping or 'Tools | Options | Import | Store contents when importing and syncing files and Outlook items' is checked.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:28 PM

I'm wondering if the problematic emails have something in the headers that is causing problems with UR importing them. Here is a snipet from one that wont import into UR and causes it to open the download manager

Accept-Language: en-US, en-AU
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-AU
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-RPD-ScanID: Class confirmed; VirusThreatLevel unknown, RefID str=0001.0A150201.4BE1D3B3.008B,ss=4,sh,fgs=12
X-SIH-MSG-ID: rBk0F9X+TAD0zmV50WLkO1VxyA3kq3d48ZoaRdJiqQQQTljHvN G5Fp6zDvII0Z7jxDxOPBuANGMic67kXI/r
X-Brightmail-Tracker: AAAAAA==

Now here is one (also plain text) that will import and open within UR

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Brightmail-Tracker: AAAABROtU3ET76GKE++uUBPwnaIT8J/P

I wonder if it has some issues with the Content fields???
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM

1. Does the email contain any attachment?
2. Is the same issue occurring on another computer?
3. Can you create a PST containing only the problematic email and post it here?
4. Could the email in question contain virus?
5. Is your computer infected by virus/malware/rogueware?
6. Can you read the email in your Outlook 2003? Does it require to download external files such as images? What if you disconnect the internet, can you still read your email?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
1. Does the email contain any attachment?
2. Is the same issue occurring on another computer?
3. Can you create a PST containing only the problematic email and post it here?
4. Could the email in question contain virus?
5. Is your computer infected by virus/malware/rogueware?
6. Can you read the email in your Outlook 2003? Does it require to download external files such as images? What if you disconnect the internet, can you still read your email?
1) Nope, the problematic emails are just plain text emails with no attachments at all, basically just just an email from when I register a program that has reg codes in it, so not even large.

2) It is not something I have been able to really try from another computer as I run Outlook only from my desktop so the PST is on that system. Something I wish Outlook would do (allow 2 instances of it reading/writing to the same shared PST file).

3) I could try and create a PST from those messages.

4) No viruses in the email. I run a scanner on my incoming and outgoing email. Also being just plain text with no attachments, it can't really be infected.

5) Nothing detected by my AV scanner nor by 2 other spyware/malware scanners.

6) I can read the "problem" emails fine even with Outlook being in offline mode. Like I said these are just simple plain text emails so nothing tricky in there like embedded images, etc...

I guess this is what "bothers" me the most about these emails is that being they are so simple, there is nothing that should prevent it from working.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-08-2010, 10:50 PM

Mark,
Thanks for your reply. Now I understand it's just plain text, not HTML. And, above all, your PST is perfectly intact. The import should be straightforward.

Question:
Have you enabled Tools > Options > Import > Automatically import clipboard changes. It's often undesirable.

Probable Cause: The latest version of UR is incompatible with Outlook XP.

Reference: The current version of UR is incompatible with Outlook 2010 x64.

My theory could be confirmed by importing emails from Outlook 2003/2007/2010x32.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Mark,
Thanks for your reply. Now I understand it's just plain text, not HTML. And, above all, your PST is perfectly intact. The import should be straightforward.

Question:
Have you enabled Tools > Options > Import > Automatically import clipboard changes. It's often undesirable.

Probable Cause: The latest version of UR is incompatible with Outlook XP.

Reference: The current version of UR is incompatible with Outlook 2010 x64.

My theory could be confirmed by importing emails from Outlook 2003/2007/2010x32.
I just looked at the options and no the automatically import clipboard changes is not checked. Should it be?

Unfortunately I don't have another version of Outlook to try it on, so I'm hoping if it is a problem with Outlook XP, the author can fix the bug..

Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 AM

Mark,
1. Don't enable Automatically import clipboard changes. Normally, it should be turned off.
2. All your descriptions suggest UR has trouble to read your plain text emails through your Outlook XP.
I'm sorry I can't help further.
Armstrong
Old 05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Administrator

The problem has to do with display of the message by Internet Explorer (hosted in UR), not importing the message into UR. UR itself has no control over whether IE displays the message or opens it externally.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: