Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 08:28 AM

Freezes with IE9 installed?

Have any other users had problems with freezes since installing IE9?

I didn't connect the many freezes I've been having recently with UR to IE9 until I read the following...
See:
http://www.sqlnotes.net/drupal5/index.php?q=node/2369
http://www.sqlnotes.net/drupal5/index.php?q=node/2377

From there, Win7 Ultimate 64-bit IE9 -- freezing seems to be a common theme with IE9 and rich text edit programs.

What is described in the thread on the IQ forum seems to match perfectly what I am seeing in UR -- resize a window and UR freezes and I have to close/reopen.

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:26 AM

Freezing here too

I just installed UR.
I have ie9 installed, but my default browser is ff5.
UR freezes up when I drag a UR pane while web content is in view.
For example: i drag the child panel to resize it while there is a linked website in the main pane.

I registered UR last night and hope there is a workaround or resolution for this.
Excited to use the software once I figure this out.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Administrator

I was able to reproduce this behavior with IE9. You would need to uninstall IE9 until they fix it.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...net-explorer-9
Old 06-27-2011, 07:08 PM

I uninstalled IE9 and confirm that the problem is corrected.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 PM

Now I am wondering if this could be the problem with my no longer being able to view PDF files in UR. That also started right around the time I installed IE9.

I'll uninstall it and try again.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 AM

Does this problem with IE9 still exist? Does the same problem exist with IE10?

If it does, is there contact being made with Microsoft about a resolution, or just the assumption that this is something Microsoft is working on? Is this something Microsoft is planning to work on at all?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM

I don’t know if the IE9 issues were ever fixed by Microsoft. I uninstalled IE9 and reverted to IE8; didn't even know that IE10 was released. Is it officially released? If it is still in beta then developers are not likely to make any changes to accommodate it as more changes would be coming.

Microsoft usually fixes what it wants to and doesn’t take any direction from others AFAIK. Not sure how you would expect Kinook to contact Microsoft about a resolution. Unless Kinook were a Microsoft Logo Program vendor, which I doubt as that is usually reserved for the very software houses and costs several arms and legs!

Thank you.

Jim
Old 11-08-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mac View Post
I don’t know if the IE9 issues were ever fixed by Microsoft. I uninstalled IE9 and reverted to IE8; didn't even know that IE10 was released. Is it officially released? If it is still in beta then developers are not likely to make any changes to accommodate it as more changes would be coming.

Microsoft usually fixes what it wants to and doesn’t take any direction from others AFAIK. Not sure how you would expect Kinook to contact Microsoft about a resolution. Unless Kinook were a Microsoft Logo Program vendor, which I doubt as that is usually reserved for the very software houses and costs several arms and legs!

Thank you.

Jim
Jim,
I realize very well that Microsoft fixes what it wants; Microsoft might not even consider this a problem in their own software at all. However, if Kinook does not keep in contact with Microsoft about a resolution to this problem, who will? Are the customers expected to do that? If you think small software companies cannot use the Microsoft support forums and ask Microsoft questions or report problems and expect an answer, you're sorely mistaken. I do software development myself on the Microsoft platform, and it is not infrequent that I have to contact MS about problems that I encounter.

It is not reasonable to expect all users of UR to forever not upgrade the browser that comes with their operating system, and definitely not reasonable to expect users of UR to be guinea pigs and 'test the waters' to see if the problem is fixed. I would hope that Kinook would keep up on the problem and announce here if/when a resolution was found. When the next version of Windows comes out it will automatically include version 10 of IE, and it will not be possible to downgrade to an earlier version (and definitely not desirable even if possible). There is a preview version of that new operating system available for download now. If this problem is still present in the next version of Windows, it is a heck of a lot more of a problem for UR than it would ever be for Microsoft. It is in Kinook's best interest to find out if this problem is being worked on, will ever be worked on, or if Microsoft expects software developers to use IE functionality in a completely different manner with IE9+. To just tell users to uninstall IE9 and let months pass with nothing more at all on the matter is not very proactive and could very well bode badly for UR in the future.

For all I know Kinook has already researched the problem with MS and knows about the resolution; in that case my little rant here was all for nought. However the fact that this problem has no more mention at all for several months leads me to think there's been no research.

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:35 PM

A little more info:

If you take a look at the first posting in this thread, I included links to forum postings for the SqlNotes product (which had the exact same problem). Those postings were updated last month to say that a new version of SqlNotes resolved the problem with IE9, and that users of SqlNotes are now free to upgrade to IE9.

If something was changed in SqlNotes for this same issue, is there an update being made to UR that resolves the issue?

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 PM

Mark,

I doubt that Kinook has kept up w/Microsoft on this - just my personal feeling and not any knowledge of Kinook. And the problem with IE9 is not only with UR, but with a lot of applications - and Microsoft knows this well as it has been written up in many blogs and posted in all the Microsoft forums, including more than once by me. )Just FYI, another outliner/info collector I use - Infoqube - also requires currently that IE9 not be used...)

And still I can get no info as to any work being done on this from anyone. Frustrating, I agree.

And when IE10 is here if it also doesn’t play well w/UR, I doubt that Kinook will make any big changes to UR to try to accommodate MS. Again, just my feeling but based on what I have seen in the past.

Not trying to make excuses for anyone here, but unfortunately I don’t hold out much hope for a fix anytime soon. Heck, as it is I can rarely get a web page to capture in a readable format in UR unless I capture it in Scrapbook, save it as an image, and then paste it into UR.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Mark,

I doubt that Kinook has kept up w/Microsoft on this - just my personal feeling and not any knowledge of Kinook. And the problem with IE9 is not only with UR, but with a lot of applications - and Microsoft knows this well as it has been written up in many blogs and posted in all the Microsoft forums, including more than once by me. )Just FYI, another outliner/info collector I use - Infoqube - also requires currently that IE9 not be used...)
Jim, please see my posting directly above yours. SqlNotes (aka Infoqube) was updated in October to resolve the problem with IE9. Several other products that initially had the same problems with IE9 have since been updated and no longer have a problem.

Quote:
And when IE10 is here if it also doesn’t play well w/UR, I doubt that Kinook will make any big changes to UR to try to accommodate MS. Again, just my feeling but based on what I have seen in the past.
Kinook made the decision to use the free Microsoft Rich Text edit control in UR. That is a control that is constantly evolving, as Microsoft uses it internally for IE and several other products. There is no guarantee in the world that MS will not in future updates make breaking changes that are not compatible with products designed for older versions of the rich edit control. If a company decides to use a free version of a product, then it certainly is up to them to accomodate changes that the company decides to make in their product! That's like saying in the past I always showed up at the corner of 5th and Main at 8am on the 3rd of each month to get free government cheese. Well, the government decided to change the time and place where they gave away their free cheese, but I'm not changing my plans just to accomodate them! In reality, you either adjust to the new time and place for the free government cheese (accomodate changes to the MS Richedit control) or you start going to the local grocery store to buy the cheese (commercial rich text edit controls).

Thanks,
Mark.

Last edited by Nobodo; 11-08-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:13 PM

The problem with IE9--- "UR freezes up when I drag a UR pane while web content is in view" remains. I have IE9 installed and have the UR panes set to my preferences...so I don't need to resize with web content in view. I had forgotten about the problem until you rementioned it. I tested it and allowed Windows to "look for a solution" to UR not responding- it didn't find a fix. I use UR everyday, all day but its not my primary web browser.

I don't know how Jim arrived at his "feeling" but it is fact that Kinook released new versions of UR for Vista, Windows 7 and for Office 2010.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the update, Bill! Unfortunately I constantly resize UR and move it from screen to screen in my daily work, so having IE9 installed while this problem exists just isn't an option for me. It's where I keep 'TODO's and hierarchical plans for software changes, so as my day progresses UR is constantly on the move so I can keep an eye on Visual Studio, SSMS, or other windows while typing in or reading from UR. The other day I got a report of a CSS positioning problem website visitors only see in IE9, so had to go to another computer to troubleshoot that one.

Thanks again,
Mark.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Some further information to help you select the best work-around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodo View Post
I constantly resize UR and move it from screen to screen in my daily work
These action work properly - resizing or moving the entire UR window does NOT cause the freezing. For me, changing the layout of panes within UR, with an RTF/HTML document in the details pane, produces the not-responding error. Also working properly is the View | Layout (F11 or F12)....so I have a saved Layout with a large detail pane for viewing these documents and now I don't just grab the side of a pane to resize an RTF/HTLM document. Items based on the text template don't cause problems so I display text items when I want to shift the panes. Should I forget and get the spinning wheel, UR will close gracefully from the task bar.

Certainly these are work-arounds and easier for me than a frustrated new user, so I hope a solution is forthcoming.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Thanks for your response, Bill.

I'll try reinstalling IE9, and see if this problem still exists. If I keep seeing the problem I will use a competing product until this problem is resolved in UR. Since this same problem has been resolved in InfoQube, Pierre (dev of IQ) could probably be contacted to find out what the fix was. Software developers in general are very open about discussing fixes to breaking problems, and my impression is Pierre would do the same.

I'll keep your recommendations for ways to avoid the problem in mind. I do use F11 quite often to change between my two most often used window configurations, but still find the need to resize panels often depending on the data I'm looking at. I've been using UR since August of 2010, so am fairly set in my ways at this point but am willing to try new things. However...to me an abend in a database application means the possibility of corrupted or lost data, so even if it is possible to 'gracefully exit' UR and restart it I really don't like taking that type of chance with my data. I know that SQLite supports transactions, but I really have no idea if every database update in UR is surrounded by a transaction to help enhance data safety, and besides there's no guarantee my latest changes made it to the database before an abend occurs.

Thanks,
Mark.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: