Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM

Maintain position in search results when deleting items

I implement GTD with UR and during my reviews I am browsing sequentially through my Next Action searches.

Often times I need to delete a Next Action that has already been completed, however when you delete the Item from within the search results the selection moves back to the top of the search results!

It is very annoying to have to find my position again after every deletion.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by teratorn
Maintain position in search results when deleting items
Totally agree - gets my vote. (With screen flicker that goes on it appears they re-run the search after the delete operation.)
Old 07-12-2007, 02:48 AM

Re: Maintain position in search results when deleting items

Quote:
Originally posted by teratorn
I implement GTD with UR and during my reviews I am browsing sequentially through my Next Action searches.

Often times I need to delete a Next Action that has already been completed, however when you delete the Item from within the search results the selection moves back to the top of the search results!

It is very annoying to have to find my position again after every deletion.
this is not as easy as it might look, cause by deleting an item, you could delete the one that preceded it, or followed ... or many more ... if they were down the tree of the deleted item.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:10 AM

Re: Re: Maintain position in search results when deleting items

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
this is not as easy as it might look, cause by deleting an item, you could delete the one that preceded it, or followed ... or many more ... if they were down the tree of the deleted item.
A bit of effort but not that hard.

Usually, when we delete an entry in the middle of a flat list, the lower entries move up one row and focus shifts to the entry that was just below the deleted one.

Before delete, we have search result (A) associated with an indexed array

User deletes item

Re-run query to produce search result (B)

Focus closest next entry...
Iterate down indexed array (A), starting from the item that was just below the deleted item, looking for a match in search result (B), then focus that item. When finished, free indexed array (A). If matching item not found, simply leave the first item in search result (B) focussed.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Maintain position in search results when deleting items

Quote:
Originally posted by zargron
A bit of effort but not that hard.
of course it's doable, and then you get surprised faces here or other forums complaining that UR is so slow, not realizing what everything it does on the background (eg. automatic keywording, indexing, ...)
Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Re: UR Performance

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
of course it's doable, and then you get surprised faces here or other forums complaining that UR is so slow, not realizing what everything it does on the background (eg. automatic keywording, indexing, ...)
Yes, keywording results directly in growth of index data. I'd like to reduce that impact, (and obviously enhance performance), by stopping UR from keywording item text and item notes. Do you know of a way to do this quant?
Old 08-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

In UR v4, after deleting search result(s), the next remaining item in the list will be selected.

To keep UR from keywording item text and notes, remove .rtf fromTools | Options | Import | File extensions to keyword (clear out this field to prevent keywording of any document type). While keywording can slow down importing, it can greatly speed up searching.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: