Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 11-10-2007, 09:02 AM

I am not crazy. I am losing data

I am losing data.

I reported this the day before but wondered maybe I was doing something wrong.

Yesterday I spent hrs changing some attribute lists (flag & GTD category) & reassigning items . All this data was saved.

I also entered data in my journal as I normally do on a daily basis. This is where I keep track of my day..... big & small.

This morning none of that work is evident. Close down was normal.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

I don't see how UR could possibly remove multiple user edits on its own (it sounds more like something replaced the .urd file with an older version), but if you can provide steps to reproduce, we'll certainly investigate.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:16 PM

Thanks for reply. I quite agree but it did happen 2x & it is scary to say the least. I wish I could provide the recreation steps but there was nothing unusual.... just normal work within URp as described.

I was running something called Spy Doctor which I've now removed to see if there's a connection. It's an anti-spyware program. It does affect performance & for all I know it has a cache of some kind to check as new data is processed.

So far today I have closed & re-opened URp database w/o problem. The only other added starter on my system is Synchback SE which backs up data files at night. Since there's no caching there I can't see why that would make a difference.

This is very strange & stressful.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by janrif
The only other added starter on my system is Synchback SE which backs up data files at night. Since there's no caching there I can't see why that would make a difference.
do you have properly set Syncback? If you want, export the profile (sps file) that does the supposed synchronization, and I'll check it. Could be that you are overwriting your newer files by backups ...
Old 11-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Quant, very kind of you. Don't know if I've done this right but see attached. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4quant.zip (17.8 KB, 1148 views)
Old 11-10-2007, 04:30 PM

seem ok. Any chance you were by mistake doing your changes on those backup versions instead of doing them in the main files? Otherwise, I don't know ... but I still think SyncBack is the main suspect ...
Old 11-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Anything is possible. I simply don't know.

The only thing I can think of is that I did a 'save as' which automatically loaded that file into URp & then -- somehow -- next time I started URp it started w a different file, or maybe I started <SHFT>+start URp & opened a different file.

I don't know if it's normally this way but I was surprised to discover that when user "saves as" URp automatically loads that database.

I suppose there is logic to this but maybe user should be asked or notified this is going to happen & possibly given a choice.

The other lesson I learned is that if I am to use "save as" command, I should name the resulting file something different than what I'm using as this can definitely get confusion.

Thanks for looking @ my files, Quant. Again... much appreciated.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Anything is possible. I simply don't know.

The only thing I can think of is that I did a 'save as' which automatically loaded that file into URp & then -- somehow -- next time I started URp it started w a different file, or maybe I started <SHFT>+start URp & opened a different file.

I don't know if it's normally this way but I was surprised to discover that when user "saves as" URp automatically loads that database.
yes, this is standard behaviour in many (if not all) programs. But why do you do "save as"? In any case, this would not lead to a loss of data, so probably your changes are somewhere, in whatever "save as" file you've chosen ... search your pc for all *.urd files and have a look at created/modified/accessed dates to find the one which contains your work.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:23 PM

I realize 'save as' does not lead to data loss. But if after I did a 'save as', then closed my files & loaded in an earlier .urd by mistake, then I would have 'data loss' so to speak.

I don't always use 'save as' but every once in while I do just to assure myself of an extra backup file.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I don't always use 'save as' but every once in while I do just to assure myself of an extra backup file.
but exactly for this you have versioning in Syncback (you currently have set this to 3 versions of the same file) ...
Old 11-10-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
but exactly for this you have versioning in Syncback (you currently have set this to 3 versions of the same file) ...
You are right. ;-) but I just looked for them & I don't see them. :-(

Last edited by janrif; 11-10-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
You are right. ;-) but I just looked for them & I don't see them. :-(
they are in subdirectory of "backup location" and with modified names.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I wish that were so. I don't see them. :-(
Old 11-10-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
SyncbackSE 'versions' are in a HIDDEN subdirectory 'backup location'/$SBV$ which may explain why you didn't find them.

Either change the Windows explorer to show hidden files or just use the SyncbackSE restore feature to restore the backup versions to a folder of your choice and then inspect them. Finding a "good" backup copy depends upon when you ran Syncback in relation to your editing of the data file (the log files may help) and that you are indeed editing the same file as you are backing up...

In consideration of the Save as possibility - If you haven't already done this I would try using windows search (or equivalent) to search all drives for *.urd as quant suggested...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by $bill
SyncbackSE 'versions' are in a HIDDEN subdirectory 'backup location'/$SBV$ which may explain why you didn't find them.[snip]
Yup, that would sure explain it :-). I'll change my view settings. Thanks.

Edited: Changed properties of backup folder to include hidden folders. Still don't see 3 versions... hmmmm. Must be doing something wrong.

Edited: Found it. had to change view attributes in MS explorer which overrides the file explorer I use. :-)

Am I the only persson who would like to see a 'save' <CTRL>S command available *all* the time & not just when the program thinks it's necessary?

Last edited by janrif; 11-11-2007 at 08:58 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: