Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions

Old 09-13-2010, 02:19 PM

When EN evolved to ver3, I didn't really pay attention to the things lost but simply went with the changes. I guess I missed the features in ver2 that you mention, and I agree that they would be neat to have - in any program, including URP - that makes use of tags.

Especially if one distinguishes tags and keywords and/or enables rules that generate tags per text and attributes.

- Bal
Old 09-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to vogelap
Quote:
Originally posted by wordmuse
When EN evolved to ver3, I didn't really pay attention to the things lost but simply went with the changes. I guess I missed the features in ver2 that you mention, and I agree that they would be neat to have - in any program, including URP - that makes use of tags.

Especially if one distinguishes tags and keywords and/or enables rules that generate tags per text and attributes.
I sure hope that Kinook is taking note... I'd be happy to discuss suggestions for the tag implementation in URp! Tags are vitally important to me!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Especially if one distinguishes tags and keywords ...
aren't they the same thing?
Old 09-14-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quant
aren't they the same thing?
Not in how I think of them, though they are clearly similar.

I think of keywords as being inline with the text, while tags, ideally, should be available as metadata with respect to the text. Keywords could be discoverable, e.g., if over time, certain words and phrases become statistically dominant, they would be keywords, whether I intended or recognized them as such at the outset.

Tags would always be explicitly created. Indeed, one might find it desirable to explore keywords to see what the tags might be profitable to use.

Does this make any kind of sense, or am I kind of off in my own little world here?

- Bal
Old 09-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to vogelap
Quote:
Does this make any kind of sense, or am I kind of off in my own little world here?
That is actually a very good definition! Thanks.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Tags would always be explicitly created. Indeed, one might find it desirable to explore keywords to see what the tags might be profitable to use.
hmmm, one can already see Relevance attribute (which I guess is just a counter). I don't see for example a point in adding a Tag equal to keyword that is "statistically" dominant, because I can already find it by having a look at Relevance attribute. Can you provide some specific example where the advantage of having both Tags and keywords would be beneficial?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 AM

Just revisited how LinkedIn handles tags, and once again, I find myself impressed. It's not as robust as I would like, but it is so smooth and fast. And while they differentiate "tags" from, say, "locations," "companies," and "industries," all of these feel like tags and they are pulled automatically from the contacts' data, and then they are listed along the left side.

I recommend that URP include something like this in the upcoming tags pane if at all possible.

- Bal
Old 06-16-2012, 02:41 PM

it's too bad...

07-22-2008, 11:14 PM

upcoming keywords pane
From the roadmap I see that a Keywords Pane is in future plans. I'd like to ask that you take a look at Evernote 3's use of KWs. Nearly perfect for my use. What I'd like to see in URP3's KW pane is:

I can't believe I made that post almost 4 years ago. It was high on the road map.
http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthre...&threadid=3204
Enhanced calendar pane
Keywords pane / tagging improvements
Add columns to Data Explorer pane

An enhanced keywords pane with tagging improvements was probably THE feature I was most looking forward to. I checked back at kinook.com/Forum frequently over this period, looking for this. Had Kinook not put it high on the roadmap, I wouldn't be caring as much, but what a letdown. Now I know what an "entitlement mentality" feels like from the inside. After all, Kinook had no contractual requirement to provide it. This is just mismanaged expectations. And, of course, it remains a 1st world problem. But the kid in me is disappointed, and the parent in me is saying, "There there, why don't you learn to be a developer or go see what else is out there instead of complaining?"

Well - I'm not going to become a developer, but the seeing what else is out there? Good idea...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: