Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 PM

A plea for two features

I just got a new computer. My data is all on an external hard drive. This creates a problem with URP. Why? Because I have URP items linked to local files.

Unfortunately, the drive for the local files was not assigned the same letter as that on the old computer. So now I have more than 60 items pointing to a non-existent drive letter, meaning I have to go through each item, one-by-one to correct this.

Moreover, if I have additional computers that I have reason to hook up to the external drive, if they assign a different letter for the drive, the same disconnect will take place.

This brings up two feature requests.

#1 - Let me specify drives as variables to be assigned in the Options dialog. If it's drive D on one computer and Drive K on another, then a simple reassignment in that dialog could make life a great deal easier. Here's what I envision. If I actually specify a drive in an item, then that's what it is. But if I assign a drive variable (perhaps something like, "dv") - then dv would be controlled through the dialog.

Examples:
k:\path\filename.ext means that k is the drive and not affected by changes in the dialog.

dv:\path\filename.ext means that the drive letter is assigned through the Options dialog.
It would thus be my choice as I create a link as to whether I want the drive letter hard-coded or not.

#2 - I've asked for this before, but every so often - like today - I am reminded how much I really need something like this: Global search and replace, or perhaps semi-global search and replace, limited to a branch of the tree and/or to selected items.

Por favor?

- Bal