Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Visual Build Professional > [VBP] General Discussion

Old 04-07-2005, 06:47 AM

Passing READ_INI value to a custom action

Hi

I've built a custom action in VB6 and am trying to pass a value that I get from %READ_INI% as a step property. The argument I'm entering is

%READ_INI(G:\Working\DllUpdator\WISERBuild.ini,Pat hs,FilePath)%

The problem I have is that within VB the value of Step.Property() is "%READ_INI(G:\Working\DllUpdator\WISERBuild.ini,Pa ths,FilePath)%"
rather than the actual value contained in the INI file.

I've tried this with various combinations of quotes but nothing makes any difference.

What am I missing?

By the way I'm putting together a working demo to convince my boss to buy the tool. I've only 32 builds left now!

Thanks

Sam
Old 04-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Administrator

To get a property with all macros/script expanded, you need to use

Step.ExpProperty(Builder, "propname")

instead of

Step.Property("propname")

The VB6 action sample needs to be updated to demonstrate this, but see the sample code in the VBScript action sample (User Action1.action) and at the very bottom of http://www.visualbuild.com/Manual/?sampleuseraction.htm.

The evaluation is good for 30 days or 50 uses, whichever comes later, so you should have a fair amount of time left. If you need additional time or need to create projects with > 50 steps to complete your evaluation, send an email to support@kinook.com and we'll issue you temporary license key to get around that.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:56 AM

Hi

Thanks for the quick response.

Yep that was the problem.

Thanks also for the offer to extend the eveluation runs although I hope I wont need it (however our major project here is the classic "VB6 full of interdependent components" so my custom actions are to sort out the binary compatibility issues ... there's nothing like starting an evaluation of a new product with something nice and simple!)

Regards

Sam

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: