Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 AM

Not possible link in tree?

I can make links in body but not in tree. Is this not possible? Would it not be a good idea to put links in tree also? Advantage: You would not have to remember in which body they are but you could click on them in tree.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Administrator

http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...callinking.htm
Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Thanks very much for answer. Logical linking is great and I know but works only for Ultra Recall info items. I would like have hyperlinks to web pages and other files on my harddisk in Ultra Recall tree, as I can have in Ultra Recall text editor but advantage is I can see links then. Is this not planned? Why?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...ntegration.htm

http://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Ma...nalsources.htm
Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Thank very much for answer. I read help file so I know how to import content. All I want is have hyperlink to external files in tree also, not in text editor only. This command

Insert Hyperlink
Text:
File/URL:
OK Cancel Browse Help

is only available in text editor, not in tree. Other Ultra Recall users do not want to have hyperlinks in tree, then?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:04 PM

I guess I'm not clear about what you're looking to do. I can link any external file to the tree and it becomes an item of the tree. I can drag from my browser any link on any webpage and it becomes an item in the tree. And, of course, I can do the internal linking that URP so far supports.

What am I missing?

- Bal
Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by schferk
Thank very much for answer. I read help file so I know how to import content. All I want is have hyperlink to external files in tree also, not in text editor only. This command

Insert Hyperlink
Text:
File/URL:
OK Cancel Browse Help

is only available in text editor, not in tree. Other Ultra Recall users do not want to have hyperlinks in tree, then?
just drag the file to tree. Or to link a website, for example if you open a web inside UR, then right click and choose "add to UR (link)".
Old 11-16-2010, 06:30 AM

Hello,

wordmuse and quant, many many thanks, I can now make links to external programs which is a very big step ahead for me. (And sorry to kinook I did not understand helpfile too well.)

Unfortunately, the links I need most importantly cannot be realised? I would like to seperate my texts into different Ultra Recall databanks, in the form easy access/important/current affairs in databank 1, reference material in database 2.

I can drag-and-drop items from 2 into 1, without or with activating alt key (makes no difference here), and I cared for this option=yes

(from help file: Note: What happens when text that contain a URL is dropped within Ultra Recall is determined by the user setting: Tools | Options | Import | Identify and process URL in clipboard text. The two different options are:
Yes: Ultra Recall will attempt to create an Info Item based on the URL).

But all I get in 1 is normal text item with the text of this item as it has in 2 at this moment, which is a copy of this item, not a link to this item. When I make changes to this item in 2, the text in this same item in 1 is not changed with it.

But when I do a link to whole Ultra Recall 2 database as a whole, it is a real link, but I cannot open this database 2 with a link, to a item in it, it seems?

I would like to know:

I know that logical linking is only possible within one database, so within 1 or within 2, but could this be made possible?

I know that when drag-and-drop, or when alt-drag-and-drop only give text item, it must be a copy, not a link. But could it be made possible to have a link insted, to a item in other Ultra Recall dababase, like it is possible to have a link to other Ultra Recall database in whole? (Logical linking would be better, that is sure.)

Again many thanks for this great help, and big thanks to quant and wordmuse also for backing my request to have non-expanded original tree in original tab when opening subtree in other tab!

Last edited by schferk; 11-16-2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:35 AM

Excuse me for again bothering. I just saw this thread.

http://www.kinook.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=4666

armsys
Internal Linking vs. Hyperlink
What's the difference between Internal Linking and Hyperlink?
They appear to be the same.
Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
09-09-2010 11:35 AM

kinook
Administrator
An internal link is essentially a special hyperlink to another UR item (in the same or another DB) or location within a UR item. A hyperlink can also link to files, web pages, etc. that are external to UR.
Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
09-09-2010 01:08 PM

So it says: to another UR item (in the same or another DB).

That is what I want, internal link to item in other Ultra Recall database. But I simply cannot imagine how to do this. I tried with nontext items, like Contacts, with and without alt key activated, and everytime, all I get is a copy of the item in the other database, not a link. Difference: Link would go to other database and open the item, copy just gives a copy here with the content the other item has at that time.

Since kinook say "to another UR item (in the same or another DB)" what I want seems possible but I cannot do it. Help please.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator

An internal link can exist only in the detail area of a text item (not in the tree) and can be created by copying from the tree of one database (or by choosing Edit | Copy Internal Link Anchor with focus in the detail area of a text item) and pasting into the detail area of another text item (in the same or another db).

A logical link cannot link to an item in a different database.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Thank you very much for answering, kinook.

So links to items in other Ultra Recall databases cannot be put into the tree. For seperating items into different databases, this would be very important, altough.

Is this impossible technically, or is it that nobody asked for it? I see the advantage to have link lists under tree headings, much more present/visible than hidded in text fields.

Could you perhaps think of having this, since it would really be helpful not just for me I think?

Thank you very much to consider this.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Administrator

There's currently no direct way to do that, but you could do it manually. First, create a document item where you want to create a link (one way would be to copy/paste the .urd file from Explorer into the tree). Then copy the item to link to and paste it into the URL attribute (Ctrl+4) of the new document item. Now selecting that item and Ctrl+J or Item | Open Document will open the item in the other database.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 AM

[Thank you very much for answer. I take your answer here in whole to comment please since I did not understand.]

There's currently no direct way to do that, but you could do it manually.

First, create a document item where you want to create a link

[First difficulty. In file 1 (file in which the link/linking document will be) I try to insert a "document" But in menu "Tree" "Insert Child" and "Tree" "Insert Sibling" there is no "Document", only Appointment, Contact, Folder, Project, Search, Task, Text, no Document. So I go to "Templates", select "Document" there, copy to clipboard, go to "Notes", paste "Document", rename it "Linking Document". This works up to here but it is not practical to create documents of "Document" type by copy and paste only, should be in the menu as the other document types.]

(one way would be to copy/paste the .urd file from Explorer into the tree).

[This I do not understand, and since I get nowhere, this is perhaps the key part of your explanation. But I do not want to link to a whole urd file, only to a item in other urd file. But I even imported whole 2.urd file (as second try) as a external item in file 1.urd, and got a "2.urd" with a Ultra Recall symbol before it, in the tree, and the text "Click here to open linked document" in text of it (control-4). This link to whole file "2.urd" works fine but is not what I want, but I even tried to link here in text of this item "2.urd" (of file 1.urd) to paste the target item from file "2.urd" (see next point), before or after the text "Click here to open linked document" but with no success, it is not pasted.]

Then copy the item to link to

[This would be text item in file 2, named "Target Item (is in file 2)", and I select the item in the tree (of file 2), and I copy to cliboard (with control-c).]

and paste it into the URL attribute (Ctrl+4) of the new document item.

[See above, I try with no success to do the paste command in the text/document field (control-4) of the item in which the link would be fired, and independent if it is a empty field or a field in which there is the text "Click here to open linked document.]

Now selecting that item
and Ctrl+J or Item | Open Document will open the item in the other database.

[Since pasting does not work, I do not get to this point. Above, you said "manually", and I thought, if the creation of the link is "manually", it could done with a macro perhaps, main point is that the firing of the link will be easy, perhaps with double-click with mouse or perhaps this control-j or other, but I cannot fire the link since I cannot make it work. So, please, where is the trick pleas?]
Old 11-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by schferk
[Thank you very much for answer. I take your answer here in whole to comment please since I did not understand.]

There's currently no direct way to do that, but you could do it manually.

First, create a document item where you want to create a link

[First difficulty. In file 1 (file in which the link/linking document will be) I try to insert a "document" But in menu "Tree" "Insert Child" and "Tree" "Insert Sibling" there is no "Document", only Appointment, Contact, Folder, Project, Search, Task, Text, no Document. So I go to "Templates", select "Document" there, copy to clipboard, go to "Notes", paste "Document", rename it "Linking Document". This works up to here but it is not practical to create documents of "Document" type by copy and paste only, should be in the menu as the other document types.]
The Document template is not included in the Insert list by default, since usually these will be created by importing an actual document. You can enable it by downloading the attachment at the bottom of the message, extracting, and double-clicking EnableCanInsertDocumentTemplate.reg and restarting UR.
Quote:
(one way would be to copy/paste the .urd file from Explorer into the tree).

[This I do not understand, and since I get nowhere, this is perhaps the key part of your explanation. But I do not want to link to a whole urd file, only to a item in other urd file. But I even imported whole 2.urd file (as second try) as a external item in file 1.urd, and got a "2.urd" with a Ultra Recall symbol before it, in the tree, and the text "Click here to open linked document" in text of it (control-4). This link to whole file "2.urd" works fine but is not what I want, but I even tried to link here in text of this item "2.urd" (of file 1.urd) to paste the target item from file "2.urd" (see next point), before or after the text "Click here to open linked document" but with no success, it is not pasted.]

Then copy the item to link to

[This would be text item in file 2, named "Target Item (is in file 2)", and I select the item in the tree (of file 2), and I copy to cliboard (with control-c).]

and paste it into the URL attribute (Ctrl+4) of the new document item.

[See above, I try with no success to do the paste command in the text/document field (control-4) of the item in which the link would be fired, and independent if it is a empty field or a field in which there is the text "Click here to open linked document.]

Now selecting that item
and Ctrl+J or Item | Open Document will open the item in the other database.

[Since pasting does not work, I do not get to this point. Above, you said "manually", and I thought, if the creation of the link is "manually", it could done with a macro perhaps, main point is that the firing of the link will be easy, perhaps with double-click with mouse or perhaps this control-j or other, but I cannot fire the link since I cannot make it work. So, please, where is the trick pleas?]
The contents of an item in another database will not be displayed in the UR detail pane, only the ability to open that link in the other database.
Attached Files
File Type: zip reg.zip (613 Bytes, 1054 views)
Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 AM

Think very much for your answer, kinook, Document in "Insert Child/Sibling" is well but minor problem.

As for second part, you only say "The contents of an item in another database will not be displayed in the UR detail pane, only the ability to open that link in the other database."

This is perfectly understood, if not, it would not be a link but a logical link, so as I said this would be perfect, but I understand well that a logical link is not a link. All I want to do is a link, and as I said, I do not understand your explanation and cannot do it. Could you, please, again read the second part (in which I just want a link, not a logical link) in order to understand the point where I did not understand you? Since I cannot do it, I cannot see where I do not understand you, all I can say is my commentary above in the seconde part.

Or does another user understand why I do not understand the explanation, and can explain that part I do not understand?

Many thanks, I am really stuck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: