Kinook Software Forum

Go Back   Kinook Software Forum > Ultra Recall > [UR] General Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 02:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to tshanno Send a message via Yahoo to tshanno
Question Template change - default attributes?

I frequently import documents, then apply a template to them once they are in UR. When I do this, I notice that the program doesn't change fields that already exist to the default for the template. This behaviour actually does make sense in many cases. For instance, few people would ever want the URL changed and most people like to have the icon for a word document match the file type.

The problem in my case is that I'm most frequently importing tasks from Outlook. These are messages by default (.msg) with the corresponding Outlook message icon. That's fine but most of the time I apply some sort of template to the item once its in UR to make it a type of task. When I do this, I'd like the attributes, most especially the icon, to adopt the default settings for the template. Is there a way to tell UR to do this?

Tom S.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:05 AM

Currently the behavior is to only update the icon if the Info Item is using the default icon for the original template. Since the Outlook message icon has already been assigned, the new template's icon won't replace it. Currently there isn't a way to achieve what you are requesting (other than manually assigning a different icon -- you could create an Advanced search to find all items where the Icon equals <Outlook icon>, then select all of the search results and change to the desired icon).

The difficulty is in normally executing the default behavior, yet providing an intuitive way for the behavior to be over-ridden. If you have any suggestions on how you would like this feature to be implemented, please post them to the appropriate forum or email them to support@kinook.com.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to tshanno Send a message via Yahoo to tshanno
Smile

Actually, your reply helped a great deal. I import these things into the Import folder throughout the day, then once in the morning and sometimes in the evening, I'll convert them all using their respective templates.

Perhaps it should have been obvious but it didn't occur to me that you could select an entire group and change the icon and other characteristics in all of them at once. I should have been paying more attention. This means that instead of changing half a dozen items one by one, I can change them all in one step. That's quite a time saver.

Thank you,

Tom S.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: